BlackBook or MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Fuzzy Orange, Jun 13, 2007.

1. Fuzzy Orange macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

With 2 Gigs of RAM, I think the BlackBook would be in good condition to run Photoshop CS3. The only problem is that I can't get an external monitor... my desk would be too small. So the small screen kinda bugs me. I was thinking about saving up a bit more for the 17'' MBP with the Hi-Res screen (my dream computer). The only thing is that my parents would be paying a good deal for it... You see, it would be for my 16th Birthday... I am highly involved in Photography and would like to make it a big hobby of mine, along with Music Production. So i would definatley like it to last awhile. I would probably have to do a ton of begging, plus give them $1000 of my own money from babysitting/various other jobs (maybe more). I know that the MB is capable of GarageBand, but not Aperture (I think). So should I settle for the MacBook? Or try for the MBP?

2. L3X macrumors 6502a

if you're going to do any professional audio stuff, i would go with a MBP. If you are just using garageband, then MB would be fine. Also, MBP will "last" longer meaning the specs will be solid for longer than the MB.

3. richard4339 macrumors 6502a

richard4339

The BlackBook is definately much cheaper than a 17-inch MBP. The BlackBook should last a long time, as long as you take care of it. I know you said you had a small desk and this is probably a trite thing to say, but you could probably buy a much larger desk and get a nice large monitor for it for less than the difference in price between the BlackBook and 17' MBP.

Unless the processing power/graphical ability of the MBP is a must for you, I'd probably get a MacBook. That, or, go for the middle of your options, and get a 15' MBP. I don't know if Apple will give you the education discount, but with it, the base 15' MBP is $1800 (versus roughly $2800 retail for the 17' MBP)

4. Igantius macrumors 65816

Although Aperture does run on MBs and will do in a moble pinch, they're no workhorse when it comes to that app. If that's going to be one of your main uses a MBP would be a smarter choice. Given what you've said (about uses and no external display), the MBP is the way to go.

You could always get a 15", but... you're obviously up for working hard to get the 17", so just go for it. The delayed gratification would be worth it methinks!

If Aperture wasn't in the equation, I would suggest get a bigger desk, but it is - as I say the MBP would offer a lot better performance. The audio side is neither here nor there - the MB handles pro audio apps well... a moot point perhaps as you're just using Garageband.

5. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

My mom actually does some teaching now, so I am "eligible" for the Student Discount. And no, I can't replace my desk. See, my desk is pretty dumb- it has a small base (where my Mac would go), and then it has shelves. So it is a tall, skinny desk. And I have heard stories of the Black MacBook smudging itself to heck- does it really pose a problem for my OCD (which isn't good), or does it just smudge from people with sweaty hands? I mean, I've been to the Apple Store and have seen the smudges, but I always thought it was because many people used them.

6. Igantius macrumors 65816

The black MBs show up fingerprints - that's basically it... just like using a black DS Lite - a quick wipe with soft cloth and they're gone. But it sounds like it might drive you mad...

7. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

And I would just be using GarageBand for now.
    Another point I forgot to address is games on the MB/MBP. I would only be playing a little World Of Warcraft and StarCraft 2 when it comes out. I'm guessing that the MBP would run both of these wonderfully, but I am a bit concerned as far as the MB goes. I think WoW runs OK on a MacBook (around 15-20 FPS? I don't really know anything about those), but SC2 I am worried about. Blizzard usually makes their games able to be played on less powerful setups, but the MB may not be able to handle it. And that Hi-Res screen just sounds so enticing...

8. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

I actually have a black DS Lite... it smudges on the outside, and that doesn't bother me much because the area where you play doesn't smudge.
    I used to have a PSP, however. I sold it partially because it had horrible games, and partially because my OCD made me want to clean it every 5 seconds. And I know the inside as well as the outside of the MB smudges...:(

9. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

After reading the latest comparison on the MBP 15's 128 vs 256 GPU on Bare Feets
    I'm thinking the basic 2.2 MBP is the way to go. Give up very little
    and its $1999. Beats the heck out of a black MB.

10. Catonow macrumors regular

I'm not sure why you're presenting your options as only between a MB or a 17" MBP. Sounds like you should get the lower-end 15" MBP. At $1800 with the education discount (not counting tax), it's only a few hundred more than the MB. The MBP will give you the graphics performance you want, and it's less "smudgeable" than the MB. The 17" MBP is overkill for you: it's $1000 more and besides, its bigger footprint is probably too large for your desk.

11. Igantius macrumors 65816

It seemed more of a case that the latter with the HD screen was his dream computer.

12. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Well, I talked to my parents about it, and they said yes about the 17''... if I pony up $1500. Right now I have around $1100 from babysitting/birthday cash, so it won't be too hard... But they also said it has to last through most of my Undergrad college years. I am going to be a Junior next year, so 1 year+ 1 year (senior)+ around 2 more years = 4 years (yay basic mathematics!) Would it really last that long? I know they would definately upgrade it before then...

13. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

Buy the base model, it's a lot cheaper. It will also be a lot more comfortable thing to take with you. I recommend spending money on a worthwhile hard drive upgrade (160GB 7200rpm Seagate).

I cannot recommend Macbook for anyone whose motive is not "I want the cheapest Apple laptop" because it does not have dedicated GPU/VRAM.

14. the1sttransport macrumors member

As far as top of the line photography and music production apps go, maybe. I'd even say probably, if maxxed out RAM.

As far as the computer itself lasting 4 years and still being a capable machine, ABSOLUTELY. My 1.5 year old iBook G4 is as zippy as the day I got it and plan on using through my next 3 years of college...

...and I'm currently writing this on my zippy iMac G3, 333mhz circa 1999, that's STILL a very formidable machine for web browsing, AIM, email, iTunes, ect.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

If I were you, I'd go for the 15'' gives you more screen space, its cheaper then the 17'', and can run all the apps you have mentioned.

Seems like a good resolution to you problem

16. Igantius macrumors 65816

Even if they won't be using apps that would benefit from a video card?

17. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Well, I went to the Apple Store.
    I decided that the MB was nice, but the screen was too small for a Desktop replacement.
    The 15'' LED was nice, too. But I don't understand why people keep saying that the display is so much brighter. Besides less grain, tt looks the same to me...:confused:
    The 17'' HD = :eek: :D
    Wow is all I can say. I saw the trailer for the new Pixar movie (I'm not even going to try to spell it) in 1080p. The screen pulled off true 1080p... Very impressed, Apple.
    Really, the only thing I am concerned about is how people keep saying the LED displays are way nicer than the LCD ones because they will yellow and fade over time... would AppleCare fix this, if it were to happen? I don't want a yellow, faded screen after paying so much for HD majesty...

18. naturallight macrumors member

Yeah, I'm trying to make the same decision: Blackbook vs MBP 15". I'm going to be in grad school, so I want something light and portable. Also, I'm not a super-duper computer whiz, so I think the specs on the Blackbook will be more than enough.

But the MBP seems like a better value though, in the sense that it's more efficient with its size and weight (only marginally heavier and bigger, yet way bigger screen), and also that I'm not paying a premium for the Black (no, I don't want a white MB).

Decisions decisions….

19. moez macrumors regular

Having bought Blackbook four months ago, I would say go for the 15" MBP which has bigger screen and ofcourse more RAM and a GPU

20. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Yeah... The MacBook is pretty much out of the equation for me right now. I'm sure once I get the most out of this MBP, I will almost be in grad school like you, in which a MB would be a good fit for light carrying around. But... I need to start saving for PS CS3 and Aperture after paying back my 'rents..
    :(

21. naturallight macrumors member

If you want to expand more on this, I'm all ears…what do you wish was different about the Blackbook?

22. mikehokie macrumors regular

Well there are other ways of getting CS3...

But not for aperture

Get the 15" because unless you use an SLR camera at its HIGHEST mp rating you won't see any difference. Pluse the vram and processor should do you good. Seeing as you probably don't have a professional soundboard or studio, I would stick to the 15". Will last you for the 4 years you mentioned. Heck my aunt had an iBook G3 that was still running good with iTunes, internet, email, ect.

23. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Well, I do use a 10 MP DSLR (a Canon Rebel XTi)
    I think the HD Screen would make a difference, but unfortuanetly I am not always right... even though I wish I was...

24. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange

Well, I do use a 10 MP DSLR. (a Canon Rebel XTi)
    I think the HD Screen would make a difference, but unfortuanetly I am not always right... even though I wish I was...

25. Fuzzy Orange thread starter macrumors 6502

Fuzzy Orange