BlackBook or old MBP?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jgw1283, Oct 17, 2008.

1. jgw1283 macrumors regular

jgw1283

Here's the deal....I just bought a Black MacBook from MacMall for like $1300 closeout. It will arrive next week and they allow exchanges if I dont open it. I've been reading that they arent good for gaming at all and noticed that macmall has a closeout Macbook Pro for like $1400. http://www.macmall.com/macmall/families/new_promo~dp~7405626~family~macbookpro~promo~15.asp

I have a 1.42ghz 14'' iBook right now and have had it for over 3 years and need to upgrade. How much better of a computer is the MPB over the blackbook? I'd like to at least have the option to game since I'm spending $1300+ but I play games on Xbox360.

Also, how easy is it to upgrade the harddrive because I want more than the 200gb? Thanks for any advice/ideas!

2. strikeinsilence macrumors 6502

For gaming, the MBP will be a lot better. If you're planning on keeping this next computer for 3 years, If go with the MBP. The screen space is nice as well.

P.S. It's quite a task to replace the HD on the older MBP, buying an external HD would be much easier.

3. smokestack macrumors member

HD replacement on the macbook is about 10 minutes of work, and dead easy.

gaming on the blackbook will not be effortless. I have a late 2007 2.2ghs 4GB RAM, and it really pushed when playing command and conquer 3.

cosmetically, i prefer the blackbook. portability is also a plus, so consider where you'll use it. screen real estate is a downside, so i have an old LCD on my desk at home for reading/working.

4. nick9191 macrumors 68040

5. Mjmar macrumors 65816

If the MBP is only $100 more, then go for that... However, the MacBook actually allows the user to replace the HD.

6. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

I don't want the new MB because no FireWire and I think they are ugly. If I'm going to have a silver computer I want a MBP.

C&C 3 is actualluy the main game I wanted to play so that wouldn't do well on the blackbook?

7. iproduct macrumors newbie

iproduct

game and macbook (regular) in the same sentence? you must be joking. and on a 13 inch screen? you are making me laugh.

the choice is simple. mbp. get the discrete gpu. plus, GPU is used for more than just games.

8. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

If you bought a blackbook for gaming, youre gonna be very disapointed because it has a 64 mb of video memory (yeah thats right) my recipies for drinks in .docs are larger than that.
    On the other hand, a mbp has a larger and bigger and better GPU, at least 128 o 256mb of video.
    1st, I would avice to upgrade the ram, (ebay it 4gb will set you back 100 buks)
    2nd try to get a MBP if you wanna game.
    3rd changin the hard drive is very easy and you can do it yourself, try to get 7200rp drives they are much faster.

cheers

9. jgw1283 thread starter macrumors regular

jgw1283

thanks for the replies..... any other thoughts ?

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Go for a refurb MBP; it's a terrific machine, comes with Apple's warranty and the chance to add Applecare, has a superb screen, has been tested and tried, and above all, comes with a generous discount. If money needs to be monitored, and having the latest in technology does not matter too much, a refurb MBP cannot be beaten for quality and price.
    Cheers and good luck