Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amenze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
London
Hey, i have a blackbook 2.16ghz 160gb hdd and currently 1gb ram(2x512mb).

I have bought 2x Kingston KTA-MB667/2G which are 2gb sticks, i know the mac wont use all 4gb's but i thought you have to have them in pairs. When i install them and start the computer up again i get the apple logo with a spinning wheel underneath and then it tells me i need to restart and hold the powere button down, after doing this it gets to the same screen and does it again.

Have i got the right ram? or is it something im doing wrong?

any help will be appreciated

thanks

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The RAM seems right, although it is possible that one of the sticks is bad.

Try booting with only one stick installed, then switch. Do you still get the error? With one? Both? None?

amenze

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 26, 2008
London
i tried doing it with one stick then tried the other too and still get the same need to restart message, just want to avoid having to take it to a apple store and them tell me i need new ram or something.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
I have same macbook black as you.. I have a 2gbx1 and a 1gbx1 in.. not sure what's up though! same sticks are not necessary

NeGRit0

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Las Vegas, Nv
Hey, i have a blackbook 2.16ghz 160gb hdd and currently 1gb ram(2x512mb).

I have bought 2x Kingston KTA-MB667/2G which are 2gb sticks, i know the mac wont use all 4gb's but i thought you have to have them in pairs. When i install them and start the computer up again i get the apple logo with a spinning wheel underneath and then it tells me i need to restart and hold the powere button down, after doing this it gets to the same screen and does it again.

Have i got the right ram? or is it something im doing wrong?

any help will be appreciated

thanks

I recently upgarded my ram. When i get back home i will check to see, but i think i got the same as you for my 2.4 Blackbook. Quick question though... What do you mean when you say it wont use all 4GB? Mine does, not often though. it usually hovers from 2-3GB.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
The older Macbooks can only handle 3.3GB of RAM. It's a hardware limitation.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.