blackbook refurb (last gen) anyone else buy recently?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Warped1, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Warped1 macrumors member

After waiting a long time and deciding I didn't want a third monitor (imac), I just bought the blackbook refurbed, details below.

Refurbished MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Black
    Part Number: FA701LL/A
    2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    120GB Serial ATA drive @ 5400 rpm
    Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
    Accessory kit
    1GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512
    Superdrive 6x (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    1 $1,049.00 $1,049.00

I was torn between this model and the newer rev white. I wanted the color but I was thinking I'd have a better chance of getting a *new* model with the latest rev refurb.

Has anyone here recently purchased the same model as mine that can comment on the shape it was in? I hope I didn't buy one that was in use for a year and then swapped out under applecare and fixed.

2. munckee macrumors 65816

I bought this one a couple months ago. Couldn't tell it from new.

3. tdiep macrumors member

I actually just recieved mine about 2 hours ago and its in perfect shape. No marks anywhere, no dead pixels, no problems at all.

4. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

Is this thing from the Apple refurb store?

If it is, it's a good deal. Apple refurbs are top notch.

5. Warped1 thread starter macrumors member

They have the orginal blackbook for $100 less. This is the Core 2.

I am excited. My first mac was a 1.4 G4 mini that I only had a couple months after it came out. I sold it as soon as the mactel rumors started and I've been waiting ever since. I was really waiting for santa rosa for the better intel graphics in the macbook but enough is enough. I was hoping the mini upgrade would have gotten SR and since it didn't I really needed to buy something.

If a newer model comes soon I will get it and just transfer this one to my wife. I will report here the condition of the machine when I receive it on Friday.

6. deskjet macrumors newbie

Purchased one shortly after they released the latest MacBooks. Conditions was good as new and haven't had a problem.

7. Warped1 thread starter macrumors member

Is yours the same rev as mine or the newer model for $1299 I think?

8. tdiep macrumors member

Exact model, mine came to $1123 shipped, took about 6 days ground.

9. danny_w macrumors 601

ditto.

10. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

I bought this same computer as a refurb the same day the last revision came out. I absolutely love it the outside case is immaculate and there was no evidence of usage by looking at the case. The only way I knew it was refurbished other then the serial number was the battery. It had 2 charge cycles on it when I opened it up for the first time.

11. Warped1 thread starter macrumors member

Where do you check charge cycles at? That is awesome!!!

12. Warped1 thread starter macrumors member

I received it; battery had two charge cycles.

I am one satisfied customer.
    Pros
    • Refurb was clean as new
    • More portable than I thought
    • Nearly silient, the fan rarely comes on
    • Runs vista bootcamp extremely well. Much better then my vista ready toshiba which is funny. It actually is a servicable os now :)
    • Doesn't get as hot as my old dell inspiron and toshiba m4. comfortable on the lap
    • Hard drive seems speedy for a 5400
    • Battery life seems great
    • Love the white glowing Apple on the top

So far my only complaints:
    • Resolution doesn't cut it. There just isnt enough real estate see next bullet
    • 13.3 screen but the border on it would have allowed a 14.1 with the same physical dimensions of the laptop. that would have been my sweet spot unless the laptop got bigger!
    • colors...there something different even in vista with the colors but I cant put my finger on it. I switched the gama in osx to TV and I like it better. Easier on my eyes as the brighter gamma seems washed to me
    • WTF is up with the M key. Its an upside down W :) It's spaced wrong.
    • One hell of a squeky hinge on the screen that may require applecare if it doesnt get better soon. It seems to be getting better with use so I am not worried.
    • um, dirt and grease show like no other laptop I have ever used.