Blackbook Running a bit hot

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JSK1121, Dec 3, 2007.

1. JSK1121 macrumors member

Hey All,

My brand spankin new Blackbook seems to be running a little hot. Hot to the point where it gets very uncomfortable on my lap. Hot to the point where I feel I may be getting more and more infertile every time I use it. You know what I mean, right?

Anyway, is there anything I can do to take care of this pesky issue? I'm not at my mac right now, so I can't check what iStat says about my temperatures, but what has been your guys' experiences with the hot hot heat?

Thanks

2. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

download smc fan control to turn the fans up and istat nano to check the temperatures, it shouldn't be getting incredibly hot without the fans speeding up, do these new macbooks still have that little bit of tape that needs pulling away from the vents or was that sorted?

3. SavageMac macrumors member

I rarely here my fans going --- only when watching a DVD or playing some SNES games.

never gets too hot.

4. JSK1121 thread starter macrumors member

My fans never get above 1800 RPM according to iStat, but the computer is pretty darn hot on the bottom.

5. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

That won't happen since I put mine on my bed or on a pillow ;)

Why don't you post some temps of your Macbook?
    Mine usually runs at around 40c when browsing/email/chat and watching videos.

6. JSK1121 thread starter macrumors member

CPU A is at 46 right now, but was at a little above 50 while I was watching a movie and using Transmission.

I have the SMC Fan Control going at 3600 RPM and that seems to be cooling things down fairly quickly.

I just hate how this thing is too often too hot for my lap.

Airport card is running at 58 c, but was higher earlier. That can't be good.

7. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

Why people think it's a good idea to put these things on their laps is beyond me. They're not laptop computers, that's just a colloquial term. I don't know of a single computer made that's actually designed to be used on a lap. They are notebook computers, as in MacBook, and MacBook Pro.

More so than with desktop machines, notebooks require pretty substantial free airflow for cooling, because of the compactness and limited airspace inside the enclosure.

I've got one of those inexpensive folding Macally Icepads that I travel with. Keeps it at a nice angle for working, keeps it cool, and if I actually feel some compelling need to sit with it on my lap, it's an appropriate base.

Attached Files:

8. JSK1121 thread starter macrumors member

Regardless of whether it should be in your lap or not, my Airport card is still running really hot, and I'm only using Safari. It's at about 53 right now, isn't that too much for such minimal usage?

9. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

All of my temps are in the 51-58 degree range, except for the enclosure bottom (33). Fan is in the 1800-2300 range. Pretty much where it's been since I bought it last May. They're just toasty little machines.

Actually, if you have to use it on your lap, you should get a hard, flat, solid surface between you and the 'Book. One of those lap desks might be a good idea.

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

It's because Apple REFUSES to apply the thermal paste correctly... sigh, they still are being stupid. Here was my week old MBP when I removed the logic board to remove their horrid thermal paste job to do it properly and in the process lower temps 15-20C. My machine now idles (web surfing, mail) at around 40-42C where before it was closer to 55-60C.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=316736

[​IMG]

11. mckyvlle macrumors 6502a

Eww! That's revolting! :eek:

Someone must be thinking of chips & dips! ;)

12. thies macrumors regular

CPU temp ~40°C for Safari/Adium/Colloquy/Skype/Mail/itunes etc

up to 84°C when running world of warcraft.

13. jpow112 macrumors member

Mine gets to 92C when rendering video- is that an accurate measurement? seems a little too hot to be healthy?

fans go at max when thats happening, soon cools when finished.

(1 week old blackbook 2gb ram)

14. anothermacaddic macrumors member

While running wow, on a blanket or pillow, I have about 45 minutes before my 90c threshold alarm will sound notifying me that I am about to lose either my internet connection or get a full kernel panic. That will happen somewhere around 95c~100c. Yes that is darn hot! Too hot to touch with bare skin (unless your fingers are tough). Macbooks during graphics intensive applications, such as wow, urt, and other games have issues. Placing the computer on a hard surface will alleviate this somewhat and the temp will not rise over the mid 80's. I shudder to think what could happen if I left my laptop actually on my lap while gaming...The image thats comming to mind is from the movie theres something about mary when he gets his zipper caught on, well, the beans and the fire department has to come and they ask is it the beans or the frank and he says well both. Yea, well both. EEEOOOOOOWWWWWWW!!!!!!!