BlackBook ?'s

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by reptiledude4, Aug 19, 2009.

1. reptiledude4 macrumors member

reptiledude4

Hi,
    I am currently looking for a laptop around the $500-600 range. I mainly use Macs. I already have 17" MacBook Pro, but I am looking for something with more portability. I really like the Black MacBook, and am considering buying one. I will only use it for Web Surfing, iWord+Office, and the occasional game of Spore. Will it fit my needs? How is the build quality?

Thanks in advance,
    Kevin

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have a 2.4 Black one. It's great! I've dropped it 5 times so far- no damage whatsoever (no, I'm not abusive, just on the go all the time). You're not getting mine though. No way in hell I'm letting it go. ;)

3. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

I have the 2.16 BlackBook... I used it for university (to take notes, view pdf's, view power points, surf the net etc)... it works perfectly... I've even done work with photoshop/iDVD etc... and it chugs along nicely..

I just upgraded from the 1GB ram it came with to 4GB and now it's pretty much perfect haha...

As for build quality *knock on Wood* I havn't had a single issue... my BlackBook looks like new still... I use iKlear to clean it up once a month and that seems to be perfect...

4. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

What does the color of the macbook have to do with its functionality and durability? It basically has the same innards as a white one from that time.

5. farkasam macrumors member

I agree w/ previous posters. I've got the very 1st gen Blackbook from 2006 and upgraded it from 512MB to 1G RAM. Even w/ this small amt. and a 2Ghz Core 2 Duo it served some relatively high duty functions admirably (not lightening fast, but I didn't need those few seconds at the time). I've used it for all the basic stuff plus photoshopping huge, multi-layer files and some relatively demanding scientific applications. Construction is sturdy, still looks pretty good (doesn't shoe filth as much as the white polys). For everyday use you should be fine, sorry though, not selling mine just yet!!

6. mcmanus7 macrumors 6502a

Black MacBooks have a different finish and larger hard drives then the white versions...

For example in the Mid 2007 macbooks the Black ones have 160GB hd's the White one with the same processor has 120GB Hd's...

7. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

My black macbook has been great. no issues of any kind. the only downside is the screen could be better. if its your only notebook you dont notice it. but if you have one of the newer aluminum macbooks and use that for awhile then switch to the black macbook you can definatly see the screen difference.

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That's kind of stating the obvious.

Your talking about media storage size - big deal. This thread is going on like the Blackbook is made with an entirely different line of parts compared to the white - it isn't.

It's like asking how a blue Ferrari handles around curves compared to the red one.

9. CPD_1 macrumors 6502

@Richard:

I don't think anyone made any claims that it was a different build quality or that it was superior in some way hardware-wise. I think it just happens to be that the OP wanted to know about MacBooks, and is specifically considering the Black MacBook. Because of this, they mentioned it in the title and it drew the attention of Black MacBook owners.

10. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

That's exactly my point. :D Nobody is telling the OP that Whitebook experiences also apply 100% but he might not know that (as others here as well).

11. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

I bought a 2.4 Penryn BlackBook around the beginning of last year. since then its been upgraded to 4GB of ram, and a 500GB 7200rpm HDD.

It's hands down the best computer i have EVER owned! Just wish i could somehow stuff a blu ray drive into it, then i wouldnt need another laptop for a while!

12. illidian macrumors 6502

My Whitebook 2.4GHz (same as the Blackbook of 08) has been great for me. It'll do everything you listed in your OP with ease.

13. michael.lauden macrumors 68020

michael.lauden

honestly unless you are running the MacBook into a 60" 1080p television to watch blueray movies, you aren't going to notice the difference between standard HD and Blueray on that screen.

you can still use blue ray data which comes in handy.

14. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Well if i had a blu ray in my Blackbook then i could sell my PS3. Its an original 80GB with all the backwards compatibility. Then i could probably sell my current 47" TV and get that 60" you talking about. ;)

15. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

People seem to think that just because their Macbook is black, it outspecs the white counterparts of the time. Or perhaps that they paid the extra for just the black, and they convinced themselves that it was so totally worth it because they were so much better. Or because they really, really do love the black finish!

Whichever way, we do have a lot of Blackbook lovers here.

16. nineohtoo macrumors 6502

nineohtoo

NeGRit0, How's the noise on that seagate? I wanted that at first but was worried about noise, so I just got a Scorpio Blue. I figured it would be plenty fast compared to a regular 5400rpm because of platter density anyways.

17. NeGRit0 macrumors 6502a

NeGRit0

Far as i can tell everything is the same as the stock drive, except capacity obviously, and I can tell the drive is faster when i open programs like Photoshop CS3... other than that though its just more space. I have no problems or issues with anything. I used one of those HD cloner programs, cant think of the name sorry, swap the drives, and now i have more space in my Blackbook, as well as a 250GB Ext HD. Totally worth the $125 I spent, if it was even that much.