Blackbook Smudges

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jaycrew, May 19, 2007.

1. jaycrew macrumors member

Hey all,

I'm considering buying a refurbed black Macbook and had a quick question on the fingerprints and smudges on their outer lids. Are these smudges easily cleaned with a wipe of something like a microfiber cloth, or are they difficult to get out?

I realize all notebooks will have smudges on them and the black Macbooks will show them even moreso, but as long as I can clean them occasionally, I don't mind. But if simple fingerprints are hard to get out, I may go with a white one.

Thanks in advance!!

2. WillJS macrumors 65816

WillJS

While I don't own one, nor do I think Apple would make them un-cleanable.

But yes, using a simple microfiber cloth will clean it. For a better one, use iKlear (Apple endorsed), or a damp cloth with water (DAMP).

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

I have seen kids with blackbooks at my university. They are prone to fingerprints and smudges and the like, but that wouldn't deter me from getting one.

4. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I just picked up a BlackBook today, and yes it does show a tiny bit of smudges, but they all come off really easily with a tissue. My friend has a White MacBook and honestly I think it gets dirty easier than the black one.

5. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

I've tried a few of the cleaning products, but I stick to using a slightly damp paper towel to clean it, comes up like new. :apple:

6. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

I used to have a black macbook. The smudges cleaned up easy, but it was only a matter of minutes before they started to show up again...

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Out of curiosity, I just checked with my wife. She says:

1) If you have greasy mitts from eating junk-food, you will get grease marks.
    2) If you have other types of hand soils, well you will get them on there too.
    3) Cleaning is just a rubdown with a clean rag.
    4) Best advice - keep your hands clean - mostly for health reasons.

BTW - Her MB looks pristine after 6 months.

8. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

Sorry, but it's not just abnormally greasy or dirty hands that put smudges on a blackbook.. that's misleading. When I had mine, I could have washed my hands before touching it every time and it'd still get smudges..

9. jaycrew thread starter macrumors member

thanks all,

as long as cleaning requires simple wiping with a cloth, i'm fine with it. it's not like i'll be staring at smudges on the lid all the time.

10. jaycrew thread starter macrumors member

hey xfiftyfour, out of curiosity, do you no longer have a blackbook because of the smudging problem?

11. localoid macrumors 68020

localoid

Keeping your hands clean helps, but it doesn't elimate the problem.

The sebaceous glands secrete an oily substance called sebum, which serves to protect the skin of humans and other mammals.

12. CedarPoint182 macrumors member

I owned two black MacBooks before they upgraded me to the Pro, tons of problems. The black MacBooks are prone to fingerprints and smudges, most of them coming off quite easily. The trackpad and the keyboard are the only areas that I found really can't be cleaned all that well, and will have a permanent "greasy" look.

13. Illicit macrumors 6502

I only put my blackbook on an air-ventilated stand and use latex gloves when handling it. I wipe it down once a month and that's all it really needs. absolutely crystal after 6 months of use.

14. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

!!!

Did you forget the face mask? One cough and that machine will be filthy!

:D

The marks do show up a bit but you get used to it and it wipes off ok.

15. danny_w macrumors 601

I just ordered a black MB refurb that should be here this week. Does anybody recommend any of the hard cases? They would certainly keep the oils off the MB, but they may be susceptible to staining or scratching themselves. Any advice?

16. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Just use the laptop and don't worry. Easy.