Blackbook vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dibara2003, Jul 22, 2008.

1. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

So i'm exchanging my air for a macbook pro or a blackbook, but i'm torn in what to get. the two main things that make me want the pro is the led screen (loved mine in the air) and the backlit keyboard. i like the metal too, but does the black plastic scratch easily?

2. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

I don't think whether the cases scratch or not should be your deciding factor..haha.

in any case, I had a blackbook and it wasn't too bad. I still would go for a pro, and it sounds like you are leaning in that direction anyway.

3. usl57 macrumors newbie

Definitely the Macbook Pro

Recently,I went the Apple store to talk to the representative about the Blackbook because i was highly interested to purchase one and he told me to get the white macbook rather the blackbook for two reasons.

First it's cheaper than the Blackbook. Even if you choose to get high end white macbook and upgrade the hard drive to 250GB, you're still left with $100.

Second, both macbook and blackbook pick up the dirt and oil from your fingers, yet the blackbook is much more noticeable than the white one.

In terms of the plastic cover getting scratch on the macbook, you shouldn't really concern about that becasue i used the macbook for two weeks and the white macbook is fine. Honestly, i found the macbook cover(plastic) better than the macbook pro because when there is a scratch on both laptops, the macbook pro is definitely more noticeable the than the macbook.

Good luck on choosing your new laptop
    I hope this helps!

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The MacBook will do what you need done very well; the peformance will be better than the Air and you'll be happy with it.

5. kingcrowing macrumors 6502a

kingcrowing

it's been said on here before, the white macbook is the poor mans macbook.

yes the white macbook is a far better deal, you save money even if you up it to 4GB and a 320GB drive, but the white is just not as nice as the black, and the black is no where near as nice as the aluminum. the more you spend the nicer the laptop is.

6. dibara2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

well, if a new one comes out in 14 days.. i'm safe :p

7. Eric. macrumors regular

Until you touch it. Then the white looks way better than black.

Seriously, I think that the Blackbook looks very generic. You'd never know it wasn't some 3 year old PC until you see the Apple logo on top or OS X.

8. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I have a MBP, and it's been pretty nice. I'm beyond glad I have a 15" screen when I use it (which really isn't that much), and you never know when you'll need a dedicated graphics controller. That one thing pretty much sold me on the MBP since you can't just pop in a video card like you can on a tower PC.

If you *know* you won't do much more than typical Internet/e-mail/office type stuff, go with a MacBook. If you may need more juice, especially the graphics processor, go with a MBP.

9. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

macbook pro hands down.

Blackbook vs. white macbook = only difference is the color of the casing.

So basically mbp vs. white macbook same thing.

10. DarkRevenant macrumors member

I was in the same boat before I decided to purchase my MBP. I chose MBP for a few reasons.

1. A larger screen. That 13" screen is so damn small.

2. A dedicated video card. I used to play WoW, but maybe I'll get into another MMORPG. Having a dedicated graphics card boosts performance a lot.

3. Keyboard. I don't like the chiclet keyboard.

4. Matte screen. I can't take my focus away from the reflections of the glossy screen and prefer to see truer color rather than more vibrant color.

5. I plan on using the same computer for at least the next four years. I feel as if a MBP will last me longer.

6. It looks much better. Its top of the line. The best of the best (well for a couple months maybe :p).

11. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

Not so much. Unless you can special-order them over the phone, the Blackbook is the highest of the MacBook models ($1499). The white ones are cheaper. I have no clue why they restrict this (just like with the iPhone 3G), but they do.

12. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Maybe you should post this in the macbook section of the forum, and you would get more people voting macbook.

We are a little biased here in the Macbook Pro section obviously.

13. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

For me though blackbook or the white macbook is the exact same thing just the outer casing is different. The only other thing that's different is the hdd size but maybe because I add a much bigger, faster hdd anyways I think that your paying way too much for the extra space while still at 5400rpm and both can go up to 4gb of ram, but other than that the 2.4ghz, x1300 its all the same thing inside. Plus I think its way too much $$ just to get the color black and I think the white looks better too.

14. dibara2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

thanks for the help everyone. i just came back from the apple store with a base mbp. i'm still deciding whether to leave it sealed and wait until my return period ends to see if any revisions happen... or to bust it open. tough decisions :p

15. lordthistle macrumors 6502

The MBP has several lovely features. The screen is uncomparably better than MB. Multitouch and illuminated keyboard are very nice.

MBPs get REALLY HOT. Macbooks are much more comfortable when doing heavy works.

Current MB are quite good, few defects, refined materials. Current MBPs still have some problems (some of them quite nasty).

Since new models are about to be presented, you might wait and see the features of the next MB. Obviously if you like the risk of receiving a new notebooks with hw/design defects.

thistle

16. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

MacBooks get hot as well, my friend has a MB and I have a MBP and we both had about the same temps. while running Adium and Safari. The current MB are good, the MBP are good; there are just a few problems. I would keep your MBP and dont open it yet. Just wait the 14 days.

17. marvel2 macrumors 6502

I have owned and worked with both for extended periods. I chose to use the MBP because of the screen quality. Not because of the LED, but because the viewing angles on the MacBook were horrible.

18. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

Pick the MBP and enjoy yourself. I chose MBP and never regret... :)

19. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

i would definitely say go with the pro. i'd love to get a pro if i had that much money to spend. go pro.

20. lordthistle macrumors 6502

If we do not consider the GPU, they share a temp-equivalent set of pieces.
    I was not speaking about internal, but external temps.

The surface of a MBP is obviously hotter, much hotter.

Oh.. I forgot... I was also speaking about computers turned ON ;-)

thistle

21. Yixian macrumors 65816

Well, the MacBook Pro is Apple's high end, performance, professional laptop, so as you would expect one main advantage it has over the consumer MacBook is it's... thinner -_-

22. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I owned both penryn models and its not true, the macbook pro and macbook runs almost the same in temperature if not just maybe 5C difference.

Also one annoying thing about the macbook is that it uses a cheaper fan so when it cranks up it gets real loud and uses only 1 fan as well (no need for the gpu to have the fan).

Anyways the mbp runs virtually silent even at full load.

23. MusicallySilent macrumors member

Though in reality .08" which is 2mm really doesn't make a large difference, however the Macbook is extremely heavy for its size when compared to the Macbook Pro 15" 5.0 vs 5.4 (MB vs MBP)

If you get macbook I would say get high end white macbook because of the black macbook tax of 200 dollars for almost no gain, unless you are really set on black.

For the decision between the two.

Both will be more powerful than the air, do you need the graphics power, larger screen or higher resolution of the Macbook Pro, or do you like the small form factor of your Macbook Air

24. dibara2003 thread starter macrumors 6502

i ended up exchanging for a macbook pro! anyhow, i just don't know whether to open it or to wait a week :p. i got it yesterday which would cover me for 2 weeks, the 14th day being a tuesday. oh well...

btw, i couldn't go back to not having a led screen, multi touch trackpad, and backlit keyboard

25. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Good choice. That LED screen is amazing. I will never go back. My screen kicks my brothers/sisters MB!