Blackbook VS Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bleufire, Jan 30, 2008.

1. bleufire macrumors member

I am interested in a Macbook 2.2 ghz Stock and a Blackbook 2.2 ghz of the same. Is there any difference besides the HD?

2. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

yep thats it... it's like a 130 dollar upgrade for color

3. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

NOPE and guess what is even more. you should just get the 2.0Gz SR macbook and be done with it. You will get negligible real world performance bump from the 200Mhz difference and whats 80Gb vs 120? Really not that much..

1099 vs 1299 vs 1499

REAL world performance has these all equal ... you decide..

4. iDAG macrumors 65816

iDAG

Yeah don't get the low end 2.0GHz because you can't burn DVD's with it. If you can't afford or you just hate white just like me, then get the BlackBook. But if you want to save $200 then get the 2.2GHz white one.

5. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

I just bought a refurbished, white, 2.2 GHz MacBook. Paying the Black Tax is definitely not a smart financial move, and besides, the matte black finish is an oil magnet. When the plastic of both MacBooks inevitably begins to become shiny with use over time, the worn plastic of the BlackBook is much more noticeable and unsightly. Get a refurbished white MacBook and use the money you saved to max out the RAM and buy something else or put it in the bank.

6. bc008 macrumors 68000

bc008

i got the mid range macbook.

i couldnt see paying $200 dollars for 40 more GB's.

also, the black plastic does become more shiny easy (at least from what i have seen in pictures) and it attracts lots of oil

take that money and get RAM, an external mouse/kb, and a case.

7. walnuts macrumors 6502

I just picked up the midrange macbook myself (white with 120 GB). I was a little disappointed to find that after an install of office (2004 and 2008, too afraid to delete 2004 in case I need macros), a couple little apps and my 15 GB music collection, I have roughly 50-60 gigs left- which isn't really enough for a vista boot camp install that I had been thinking of.

I am happy to have paid extra for the DVD burner. I also bought more RAM from crucial and saved $100 upgrading to two GB rather than getting an apple BTO.

8. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

Just make sure you skip the ComboDrive and get the SuperDrive :) It's probably the best choice I made when deciding on my Mac purchase.

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Very true. I have both and the black one is an absolute bugger to keep clean and the trackpad looks horrific on it after a couple months use, whereas the white looks no different.

Black looks nice for the first 10 minutes until you start handling it... from then on its a downwards slope of shininess..

10. Surely Guest

Surely

Buy a new 250 GB HD and install it yourself if you want more space. It's very easy to do- the HD just slides out. And only for $115. Then you'll have plenty of space for -ewww- vista boot camp. And then some.

11. walnuts macrumors 6502

Thanks for the heads up. Would this void my warrantee?

"eww" -Yeah I know. I may not even bother.

12. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

13. olliebraves20 macrumors regular

I agree, with so many cool things out there to buy why would you want to spend that kind of money on a color? I was never a real fan of the Apple TV but I got one the other day and love it....I am going to spend way to much tho for rentals!!

14. Surely Guest

Surely

I'm not sure if it would void your warranty. Installing your own RAM doesn't void your warranty, so why would installing your own HD?

HOWEVER, if anything were to happen to your MacBook, you could always swap out the new HD and put the old HD back in before you bring or send your MacBook in for repairs.

I've had my white MB since November, and it looks as new as it did when I got it. Shiny white :D

15. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

I have the Blackbook. I like the way it looks, so I paid the "black tax." I have found that by using iKlean fairly often, the case still looks great. The track pad is another matter. It is shiny! I wish I had bought the clear plastic overlay for it when it was new. I too am running Office X with Leopard and I do not have any performance issues. I have 2Gb of RAM, but that is a recent upgrade, I ran the standard 1Gb for over a year and I was quite pleased. I know Apple needs an entry level MacBook, but the base model with the Combo Drive is not worth saving $200, the SuperDrive is mandatory for any sort of back up, CDs do not hold nearly enough for backing up.

16. DMC-12 macrumors 6502

DMC-12

No, the discoloration was resolved from MacBooks early on-- I'm almost positive that the Core 2 models are unaffected. The top casing was changed from "Version 1" to "Version 2" when the plastics used to make the casing were refined and changed. I believe Apple has quietly acknowledged the defect and, at least for a time, had offered free top casing replacements?

Yeah, I'm pretty darn sure the HD is defined by Apple as user-replaceable and therefore legit. I believe there is an issue of it being ideal to return your machine to Apple with factory parts so as to avoid blame for a defect in case of a repair.

17. lshirase macrumors regular

it was a hard decision for me, but at the end of the day i decided to buy the blackbook. the black color looks very professional imo. the white looks rather childish if you ask me.

18. Surely Guest

Surely

Ouch. Talk about needing to justify the extra $$$ for black.

You're right though- I saw this 5 year old in the playground, and he was using a white MacBook. He told me that when he grows up, he's going to get a black one so he looks all professional and stuff.

19. woody88 macrumors member

Come back in 3 months, and let us know if you still like your shiny professional laptop versus day 1. Good luck.

20. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

My wifes black MB doesn't look shiny and shes had it for almost a year. You guys must have some greasy hands or something.

21. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd get it in white. Every black Macbook I've seen older than a week has been slicked with greaseprints. They honestly look as if they've been handled by fry cooks all day. If that's worth it to you, go for it. But I wouldn't.

22. lshirase macrumors regular

im sure it will look the same in 3 months. i had it for about a month now, and it still looks good as new.

clear macbook cover + clear touchpad cover.

23. Victor ch macrumors 6502a

Victor ch

And with a white one come back 3 months and count how many scratches it has ;) Seriously: Black= oil and dirtiness magnet; white= scratch magnet. I rather have it dirty and (as I usually do with all my Macs and devices) clean it with iKlear on a weekly basis than having an irreversible scratched computer. Im talking with experience, many of my friends have the white one and even though they take care of it it shows small scratches... many of them, some even have the small cracks; whereas almost all the black ones are a tad dirty, not scratched.

I also went for the black one beacuse of it looks, it just seems more 'serious' and not so iBook-ish (absolutely no pun intended) just my opinion.

-Victor

24. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

I'm the process of deciding whether or not to get a macbook for work. In the mean time my MBP is using the 4gigs of ram I bought for the macbook.

25. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

I have and prefer the "Blackbook." I've had it for over a month now, and it still looks brand new. I keep it in the iSkin SoHo case and use the Invisible Shield, along with a keyboard dust cover. Obsessive, maybe, but it does keep the laptop looking nice!

Anyway, I think having a larger hard drive is worth the slightly higher cost. Of course, I nearly maxed out the MacBook with 2 GB RAM, the largest available hard drive (250 GB) and the SuperDrive.