BlackBook vs MacBookAir vs Waiting (for rumors)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DaTaco, May 25, 2008.

1. DaTaco macrumors newbie

Hey Guys,
    I'm about to be a new Mac owner (this is my first post and all), and I have to make a decision.. At this point I am creeping along with a old crappy laptop. I will be building a new desktop shortly.. (for gaming and anything intensive) I am still in college and I want something to take with me to classes etc.. So I have narrowed it down to three choices..

1. BlackBook
    Pros:
    Plenty of HD space, Faster Processor, Upgradable, (looks neat in black)
    Cons:
    Weight, Size, etc

2. Mac Book Air
    Pros:
    Size, Weight, Case, basically the selling point of the Air
    Cons:
    HD Size, Not-upgradable, New Product.. (might be some bugs to be worked out)

3. Waiting
    Pros:
    Waiting to see what comes out
    Cons:
    Don't know if or when anything will change.. and how long can I wait etc?

So What do you guys think.. What should I do?

P.S. I will be posting this in the MacBookAir forum too.. so I can get both sides..

Thanks,
    DaTaco

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If you want ultraportability, go with the air. The air won't be revised for a while. If you want something like a laptop and don't care much for ultraportability, you can either: wait for the new MBs to come out, they will come out but when is still a mystery, or get the current one.

3. donmei macrumors regular

Get the blackbook and pocket the cash.

Its light enough and about the only thing it gives up re the air is the sex factor.

Part of me even is thinking you should get a white macbook, and buy a NAS drive. Then you can copy the files to the nas for access by the PC.

Lots of options. Either way, I REALLy dont see the value in the air.

4. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

I'd have to say it's between the blackbook and waiting (since you say you're still in college, I assume you 'could' wait until July-September).

I'd say that a low end macbook pro should be the other option being considered (since I don't see any value at all in the macbook air, at least in its current incarnation), but you already plan on getting a desktop for other things.

5. EmptyCalm macrumors member

Hey I'm like you.

I too wanted the MBA but decided to get the black MacBook. Reason being the HD space. I didn't' want to feel held back by the MBA limited HD space. The thing that changed my mind though was seeing the MBA and the MacBook up-close. Yes, the MBA is super thin but the MacBook isn't that big either. Add that to everything it offers (upgradeable ram, bigger HD space, and faster processor) and it's better IMO.

6. robertsherry macrumors newbie

robertsherry

I Would Wait

IMO I would wait and see what comes out.

There are rumours of the MBP being revised soon, but there are truths about a new macbook

The new macbook will be lighter and faster due to the fact that it is rumoured to be in aluminium and it will have the new generation of processors that are coming out now.

That will then be the machine to have

Granted there is to be rumoured date of release that actually bares any real truth but I don't think it will be too long. Wouldn't be suprised if they released it at the WWDC.

Rob

7. Philflow macrumors 65816

It's really up to you... are you ok with carrying around a 5 pound laptop?

I know I am not. I really dislike carrying around a bag that weighs even more than that. For me there really was no competition for the MBA.

8. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

for carrying about - Macbook Air all the way - it is light, powerful enough for collegey type stuff and looks sexy to boot :)

:)

9. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

But the MacBook Air is the same width and depth as a MacBook. MacBook is in no way heavy itself and paying all of that extra cash for a slower processor and a pathetic hard drive makes no sense whatsoever.

10. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

but its 2 pounds lighter. And don't give me that all "it's only 2 pounds you need to go to the gym thing". If you are a university student like me who feels like I'm walking almost a mile to go to another classroom in UCSD you will be thankful you don't have those 2 pounds in your back. And in fact those 2 pounds makes a difference. I used to own a sony vaio sz which is like 4.2 pounds and my backpack feels so much lighter with MBA compared to SZ.

Yeah sometimes it doesn't make sense paying extra cash for slower processor. But in fact, I don't really need a faster processor than what air has. Portability is more important to me and I will extra money for it. As a Biology major student, most of the things I do, like word processing, making presentations, research and surfing on the internet my MBA can handle without any problems at all.

Also I don't need the extra HD space. In fact I still have 47 GB left on my MBA. And I could honestly tell you that I've never needed a CD/DVD drive since I bought this computer.

11. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

12. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

well i guess you didn't get the point after all. Your perspective is not other consumer's perspective. What's nothing for you will be something for somebody else. And who carries a bag full of textbooks anyways? Most students leave their textbooks in their dorms or at home unless they have a test. You don't really need them during lectures. Most students carry only pens, notebooks and laptop.

13. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I would get a MBA because you don't need the extra power since you're building a PC for gaming and intensive work anyway. Just taking notes and other day to day light work will not fill up the HD of the MBA. But getting the MBA will make your everyday life much easier. Whatever inconvenience that pops up is only occasional, but transporting your laptop is a daily chore.

14. donmei macrumors regular

sounds like some of you should just get an eeepc for $400 and put linux on it. ;- )

15. SamoanDude macrumors regular

Meh, the Macbook Air has a slow hard drive, no built in superdrive and the wow factor wears off quickly. Plus its un-upgradable.

Get the Macbook!

16. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

<< is this from personal experience?

I have the MBA and bought it fo rwhat it is - portable, and simple. If thats the required application for the system, then it fits fine (slow hdd - not really a big issue now is it??) I run CS3 and office on mine and its fine :)

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I was also an owner of the MBA 1.6GHz/80GB, and went back to my BlackBook, only because I needed more hard drive space. I definitely loved the fact that my MBA was about 3lbs. v. my BlackBook which is about 7-8lbs. Don't forget all those additional cables, the MagSafe plug/cable, remote, SuperDrive, USB (4) port adapter, just to name a few additional weight add-ons. I'm looking at the top-of-the-line MBA after the semester starts; I want to get back to half the weight on my back! :cool:

18. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

The main point is if you need to carry remote, superdrive usb adapters with you at all times then you should not buy MBA at all since it doesn't fit your needs. I for one don't use my DVD/CD drive at all, I don't need a remote to carry around and I don't need to plug more than 1 USB at one point in time. That's why I only carry my MBA and the Magsafe plug and that's it and I have no problems with that all.

I'm guessing that the next revision of MBA would not have an extra USB port and would not come with a DVD/CD drive either. So if you're going to lug a remote, USB adapter and Superdrive with you at all times, In my opinion the MBA doesn't suit you at all (just opinion)

Also the Blackbook only weighs 5 pounds not 7-8 pounds

19. queshy macrumors 68040

queshy

Agreed...I only bring my iPod, cell phone, a pen, some white paper just in case, and most importantly my MBA. It's impossible in a 1-hr lecture to have time to pull out the book to look something up! you need to listen. the prof will have slides and won't be reading from the textbook (or isn't supposed to be!)

Right on...if someone says the macbook air "sucks" because you need to carry around x, y, and z, then yeah, it sucks for THEM, but not necessarily for someone else who doesn't need those things!

20. xhambonex macrumors 6502a

All this weight talk is funny, yes I'm a student and I carry books, and other stuff, so when I just take my SUPER HEAVY MBP with my to class, I can't even tell I have something in my backpack.
    Sure you'll see a difference in weight, but it won't matter to you once you get used to carrying it, so the MBA owners are now used to light, so everything is a burden for them...regardless if you work out i guess
    Seems like you want a macbook, wait till WWDC is over, new Intel chips were just delayed so its your waiting game. Seems like you didn't mention price, I'd love the extra couple hundred for a new tv...

21. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

Yeah, I don't know if it's worth paying $300-700 more for:
    -Smaller, slower HD.
    -No optical drive.
    -Slower processor.
    -No upgradeability at all.

+Backlit keyboard.
    +2 pounds lighter.
    +LED backlit screen.
    +Metal enclosure.

The lack of upgradeability is what gets me. I mean, it's practically disposable in 3-4 years with each version of OSX getting heavier and heavier.

22. Heavenkittykat macrumors regular

Yeah i understand what you are talking about. It really bugs me that MBA lacks upgradeability however i am not planning on keeping my MBA for more than 3 years I will be replacing this baby after 3 years of use. Also believe it or not, I really don't think I need the extra power. The decision really falls down to what you think is best for your needs.

Since I think that MBA suits my needs and portability is VERY important to me, I think my MBA is worth those extra bucks (Oh and I forgot to mention that it also got me because I think that it is the most gorgeous laptop that I have ever seen)