Blackbook wont turn on!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ironduke, Nov 28, 2008.

1. Ironduke Suspended

Ironduke

Got my early 2006 macbook back from a friend and it wont turn on.
    tried the things at the apple website pram etc. still no good.

I have opened up the macbook and everything looks normal, one thing I did notice is the magsafe light goes orange so it still charges the battery, which means power is travelling through the board, im wondering if it could be something silly like the keyboard has gone (which holds the On button).

any help would be great

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

is your screen brightness all the way down? maybe your friend pranked you

do you have access to a monitor to see if its video related?

when you turn it off and restart, do you hear the start up chime when rebooting?

even though you see a orange light on the battery, you may still have a logic board malfunction

3. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

No mate it simply isnt turning On from Off, no chimes no lights no sounds from the fan, hd etc..

Im out of warranty I wonder how much a fix would cost:(

the orange light is on the magsafe cable

4. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

sounds like a logic board failure which is around the cost of a new machine to fix
    however, apple will do a free diagnostic and if they solve it, you have to pay for the test. if not you can opt to fix it or not. my dad got lucky with his in a similar scenario where they fixed it for free even though out of applecare. so it might be a known apple issue that they have kept quiet

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=588361

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

6. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

I have looked inside it and it doesnt look like, I asked him today did he have problems and he said he only got it to start once after many attempts, then it turned off a short while later never to start again:(

7. shawnpringle macrumors newbie

same here

Same thing has happened to me on my last two macs. First was a Powerbook G4 titanium, and it died without warning. It wouldn't turn on, but i got it to turn on once, but it proceeded to turn itself of again. It ended up being a logic board replacement, so i picked up my current macbook off craigslist. It was a logic board again.
    They charged 300 to fix it, and they also replaced the topcase, so overall it wasnt a huge deal. The guy i bought it from (for 600 bucks) paid for half of it because it died 4 days after i picked it up from him. I am pretty sure this is a common, although suppressed, problem with mac's.

8. jabrowntx macrumors 6502

Same thing happened to me this past summer, but mine would turn-on for awhile, then shut-down. Apple replaced the logic board and my HD under warranty.

9. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Remove the battery for about 5 minutes and put it back in to reest the power system.

Press the button on the battery, does it show a charge?

Could be the top case not sending power to the system, or something more serious.

10. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

yes the battery does show charge, thats also what i was thinking, but if I buy a top case it could be hit or miss

11. California King macrumors 65816

You should definitely take it down to an Apple store. Sounds like you have to get it repaired.

12. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Take the top case off and press a metal screw driver where the power button connects. This will activate it, but be careful cuz you can mess it up if you ground the wrong connections.

If it still doesn't work, since its out of warranty I would look at other apple authorized shops. The apple store is overrated for repairs, and often takes forever to respond. Can often get cheaper and faster service through someone else.

13. Ironduke thread starter Suspended

Ironduke

what connections should i ground?

anyone have a diagram

14. StuBeck macrumors 6502

Sorry I had a brain fart. It looks like you'd have to press where the trackpad connects, but I'm not sure which pins. If the logic board isn't broken I don't want you to break it by accidently shorting it out.