Blackbooks and 720p X264 MKV files.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by RelievedSimplet, Oct 2, 2008.

1. RelievedSimplet macrumors member

Hello,
    I am going to be purchasing a MacBook, most likely the BlackBook in about 2 weeks once my college rebate arrives. I'm hoping the new MacBook/Pro's are out by then, but if not, I will be buying the current generation. This will be my first Mac, so I'm not sure about one thing. I am a huge TV watcher, I capture my own TV via over the air HD on my HTPC, which will still remain. I capture at 720p and convert to 720p X264 MKV files. I know piracy isn't supported, etc, but the best idea I can give you is scene TV releases in 720p, although mine are generally higher quality, larger files. Well, I would be recording with the HTPC, then transferring them to my Mac to play between classes at school.
    I was wondering if the BlackBook's base config would be enough to play 720p X264 MKV's. If so, what software have people used to play them? Is there even any software (besides VLC, if that even works), that would play these? Is the hardware powerful enough to playback these files? Any input from someone who plays back their own rips, or... tv rips borrowed from another source that are 720p X264 MKV's would be appreciated. Also, if anyone has played 1080p rips of any content that are x264 mkv's and has any input would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It should play 720p fine. 1080p is a tough call since some MBPs have a hard time playing them!

3. RelievedSimplet thread starter macrumors member

Great to hear, even if it won't play 1080p. 1080p is a minor inconvenience since ~0.001 content is 1080p atm anyways. I just want to make sure it'll work with 720p though. When I go to buy, would apple store employees have a problem with me bringing a file on a USB Flash Drive, plugging it in and trying to play it, just to make sure it works?

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Download and install Plex, and you can watch 1080p Blu-Ray quality video (IOW, just about anything) with up to Dolby Digital or DTS (max 7.1 surround by optical).

5. maxlew macrumors newbie

Files like that play on my older macbook fine, the fans start to get a little loud but the newer graphics chip should stop that.

ive never played a 1080p file on my laptop but 1080i hdv files play fine.