Blackjack 2 to macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by weezercleaver, Jan 30, 2009.

1. weezercleaver macrumors member

weezercleaver

Last night I tried connecting my blackjack 2 via bluetooth to my macbook. both could recognize the other but I couldn't do anything with the connection like transfer files or tether to the internet. I have tried doing this via the usb connection also and the computer doesn't even recognize the phone and the software that comes with it is formatted for windows pc's only. I am assuming this is an issue with windows mobile not being compatible with leopard, or is this a phone issue? Is there any way around this- particularly for connecting my macbook to the internet using my phone as a modem. Thanks!

2. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

First, yes, WM is not compatible with OSX. In order to sync a WM phone to OSX, you need to use a program called 'MissingSync'. Here is the version for the BlackJack II: http://www.markspace.com/products/windowsmobile/mac/windows-mobile-sync-software.html

It's a decent program, about 30 dollars, but I think it's worth it. Just a heads-up though, trying to integrate with OSX and WM6 is a massive pain, so don't expect stellar performance. This being said, keep your expectations low.

As for tethering, it can get you in trouble, and it is definitely not an easy thing to do, but here's how to do it anyway :p. I was wondering the same thing about 6 months ago, figured it out after much frustration, and wrote a guide for personal reference with the intention of one day submitting it :p.

So here ya go:

How to tether your BlackJack II to your Mac
    Disclaimer: Please note that if you don’t have a tethering plan and if AT&T catches you using massive amounts of data, you will get busted and slammed with a massive bill. I assume no responsibility for your actions. This being said, have fun! :)

1.) On your BlackJack II: go to Settings-->Connections-->USB
    2.) Change the USB connection setting from ‘ActiveSync’ to ‘Modem’.

This allows your BlackJack to act as a modem. Note that under this setting you cannot use syncing services. If you want to return to being able to sync, all you need to do is change the USB connection setting back to ‘ActiveSync’.

3.) Plug the BJII using USB to your Mac
    4.) On your Mac open up 'Network Preferences' and it should see the device on the left. Click on the Samsung device.
    5.) In that menu, hit the ‘Advanced’ button, bringing up a new screen
    6.) Change the Vendor name of the Modem from ‘Apple’ (default), to ‘Samsung’. Use my following picture as a reference.
    [​IMG]

5.) Now enter the following settings.

Telephone Number: *99#
    Account Name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
    Password: CINGULAR1

Note that everything here is cAsE sEnSiTiVe (yes, everything is in caps). Use the next picture as a reference.
    [​IMG]

If you want, you can also check ‘Show modem status in menu bar’. It's convenient to see how long you’ve been connected.

7.) Hit Apply, and then Connect!

Enjoy your 3G internet from your BlackJack II now on your Mac! :D You can get DL speeds (at best) of 100KBytes (not bits! :D)/s. Don't expect it to be reliable though.
    ----

Note that you cannot tether and use MissingSync at the same time, since you have the phone set to 'Modem' rather than 'Active Sync'. To use MissingSync, simply switch back to 'Active Sync'.

If you happen to have USB trouble connecting back to MissingSync (which you probably will), you may need to add a program called 'USB Killer' to your phone, which will force the phone into 'Serial' mode, which for some reason allows MissingSync to detect your phone if you happen to have problems.

Overall, tethering and syncing to a Mac with a BlackJack II is not an easy thing... it's a massive pain in the ass, but until I have enough spare cash for an iPhone, it's the only way to do it for my BlackJack II.

I hope this helps! :D let me know any kind of feedback, I want to know whether or not it works for you.

3. BavarianWheels macrumors newbie

BavarianWheels

The above explanation worked great the first time I tried it. However I cannot get the connection to work again.

I'm not sure if there are other settings that may need to be set again or changed without me knowing. I tried restarting both the Macbook Pro and my Blackjack II. Neither has worked. The Mac sees the phone in the network settings along the left side, but when I click <connect> I get a pop-up that reads, "The selected communication device does not exist. Please verify your settings and try again."

I had initially tried This Mod at Blackjack2.com so I'm not sure if those settings are still required for this setup.

Thanks for your time. =)

4. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Try using it in a different USB port. I get that message too. For some reason for me, it only works on the left side USB port on my Macbook Pro.

I'm glad that you were able to get it working initially though. Thanks for replying. Let me know how it goes.

5. robanga macrumors 68000

robanga

I use to connect a Blackjack (first version) to my MBP to tether in a similar way. I found that one USB port worked consistently better for this over the other as well.

I would get the same communications error, as well and often I would just try the connection a second time and it would work.

6. BavarianWheels macrumors newbie

BavarianWheels

Thanks for the response. I haven't had a chance yet to try this out. I will the moment I get home in a few hours.

Can you clarify for me whether the settings as described in my post above at the link are needed for this to work or will the default settings work for the tethering? Thx again. =)

7. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

The settings you have in that link are pretty much the same steps that are in that little guide I posted before. It is necessary to configure all the addresses and passwords like that. You can either use the one I described, or the one described in your link.

8. BavarianWheels macrumors newbie

BavarianWheels

Worked! On it now. =) It's odd, but I did use a different USB port...the only difference is that the mac didn't have it listed in the network preferences. I had to add it.

When I'm not using the internet, should I disconnect of just leave it? I noticed it is still sporadically sending and receiving.

Thanks again for your time and quick responses.

Edit: 1:40pm

BTW...anyone wondering, the speed of this connection with the Blackjack II as a modem is quite extraordinary! I am in a good 3G area and it's not much slower than my work PC sitting next to me! I'm amazed.

Thx again, winninganthem!

9. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

Heh, I'm glad I was able to help you.

I usually only use my BJII when I'm out of the house without a wifi connection, so I don't really leave it connected for longer than 2-3 hours. I guess it'd be good practice to disconnect it after awhile so you don't incur unnecessary bandwidth, however small it may be.