Blackle.com - Like Google, only black

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Queso, Aug 6, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

I quite like this idea. The theory is that by replacing the white background of your search engine page (i.e. Google) with a black alternative you ever so slightly lower your monitor's power consumption. Which means a tiny little carbon saving per person that adds up to something bigger.

It's the Google engine powering it, only it's in black :)

Set Blackle.com as your home page!

2. iGav macrumors G3

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Annnddd... it is pretty much irrelevant for LCD monitors. The current required to twist a LCD crystal to make a pixel opaque or transparent is truly miniscule. The backlight (and the thermal loss of the power supply) consume several orders of magnitude more power. Those aren't affected by the colour of what's on the screen.

From the study cited on the blackle.com site:

"Among the few LCD monitors in the table, the power used to display a white screen is indistinguishable from power used to display the desktop. Thus, it appears that display color is a significant determinant of on power for CRTs, but not for LCDs"

So if you have a CRT monitor, maybe the black BG makes a small difference (the worst case scenario was 74W vs 104W on a 17" CRT

A FAR larger difference would be made by turning down the brightness of the CRT or the LCD backlighting a bit. And of course, by allowing the monitor (and computer) to sleep in a shorter time period, and turning the machine right off at night.

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Why not just Control-Option-Command-8 and use the regular Google home page?

B

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

YAGTDWAWAIIBSIRPATHTEAITG.

For those not up with your acronyms: Yet Another Gimmick That Doesn't Work As Well As It Implies, But Still Indirectly Redirects People's Attention To Helping The Environment, And Is Therefore Good.

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I think it's more a case of YASATMPFGBADTFRAFC

Yet another spurious action that makes people feel good but actually distracts them from real action for change.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

if only people would actually do something more to help the environment rather than this non-issue bs.

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

secret that the work for me I would actually have to use Google home page do my searches right now I just used up Google search in Firefox so it wouldn't change anything for me at all.

10. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Many PC's still come with CRT monitors. I'm using a CRT monitor right now, so it does affect me.

11. kalisphoenix macrumors 65816

kalisphoenix

Or both, depending on who you talk to, which leads me to my next thread.

12. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yeah...if my start page wasn't the default Firefox page (which is only still there because i'm lazy), I'd never visit Google.com (one without results, I mean).

13. A Pittarelli macrumors 6502

its not goth its racist! :p

14. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I use the white versions but I turn my screen brightness allll the way up.

I also have about 400 of those "environmentally friendly" canvas bags they try to get you to re-use when you go shopping. Every time I go I get new bags.

Oh and my car runs on pure crude oil that I ignite using a flame in a less-than-perfectly ventilated engine so that there are lots of carbon compounds coming from the exhaust.

And I just farted...

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

You bottled it, right?

16. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

geeze! this old myth again? LCD monitors get zero, that is ABSOLUTELY ZERO, energy saving by displaying black pixels instead of white. And as for the amount of energy save on CRTs, of which there are few these days, the energy saved is so small that the amount of energy required to run the black website instead of the white website probably uses up more energy than gets saved.

It's an interesting idea, but mathematically it makes no sense. You may actually wind up wasting more energy than you save using this site. Sorry to burst your bubble, but lets try and focus our efforts on tactics that might actually have even a slight impact on our energy consumption.

17. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

What he said. LCDs use so stinkin' little compared to the tube jobs I wouldn't worry about it - but turning down brightness I can understand.

It is a noble concept though.

18. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

I like this idea because light text on a black background is less strenuous on your eyes

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

CHange thread title to : "Blackle.com - Like Google, only stupid"

:D

20. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

it's about time we got some affimative action! Whitey bringing us down all the time.

21. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

What PCs? Where do you buy your computers?? :eek:

22. djellison macrumors 68020

In my case at least, the theory - is wrong - reading their own justification in the form of a PDF....

15" LCD screen - white 16W, black 16W

And they don't even look at LED backlit screens. It's a 6 year old PDF. Six years ago I didn't even own a Laptop. It's very very out of date and it's claims of Whr's saved are utterly utterly false.

23. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Nah... This is borderline blaxploitation/racist.. but damn funny! :D

BL.