Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barr0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
I have a blacklisted iphone 5, Its not stolen, I simply lost my job and didnt pay the contract

Is there any way of removing the IMEI from the blacklist database, Or changing i IMEI?

the phones on o2 UK

Or is there any reliable places or people that will buy it with full knowledge its blocked

i have an iphone 5s coming tomorrow so now the 5 is no use too me
Thanks

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I have a blacklisted iphone 5, Its not stolen, I simply lost my job and didnt pay the contract

Is there any way of removing the IMEI from the blacklist database, Or changing i IMEI?

the phones on o2 UK

Or is there any reliable places or people that will buy it with full knowledge its blocked

Thanks

No, you cannot remove the phone from the blacklist. You can pay your bill, that'll remedy the issue and probably help your credit.

Can you sell it? I suppose. People do that on eBay but you better do everything you can to ensure the buyer knows the phone is blacklisted.
<judgmental joe>
You lost your job and could not pay the bill but then somehow got a new phone to which I assume you paid something for and now you want to unload the blacklisted phone off on someone else? Hmmmm

</judgmental joe>

barr0n

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 3, 2014
No, you cannot remove the phone from the blacklist. You can pay your bill, that'll remedy the issue and probably help your credit.

Can you sell it? I suppose. People do that on eBay but you better do everything you can to ensure the buyer knows the phone is blacklisted.
<judgmental joe>
You lost your job and could not pay the bill but then somehow got a new phone to which I assume you paid something for and now you want to unload the blacklisted phone off on someone else? Hmmmm

</judgmental joe>

Yes i lost my job, And the phone bill kept growing and growing to an amount i cannot afford, So i applied for another phone, And got accepted which is more manageable repayments

DMaki650

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Rhinelander, WI
Yes i lost my job, And the phone bill kept growing and growing to an amount i cannot afford, So i applied for another phone, And got accepted which is more manageable repayments

I was in the same boat, it sucks when you work and work and work and then loose a job and you look and look and look and yet some people just don't get it. I'm on a friends T-Mobile Family Plan, I pay just the $10 to maintain the line. That helps out alot. Stay strong, finding a job is a job in itself. :)

What some people don't understand, is that while you may not have a job there are ways to get money. I was able to buy things and maintain my 5 line account on AT&T for 1 year while not having a job. SO before people get all nasty about it, THINK! There's no reason to get all pious about it.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Jun 21, 2010

the phones on o2 UK

Thanks

Changing the IMEI is illegal.

Only way to clean the IMEI is pay the bill. If not, sell it with a bad IMEI. People buy them on ebay for parts all the time.

And do you really need the 5S right now? Seems like a bad time, especially because you couldn't pay the 5 bill.

NightStalker92

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2014
I found an iPhone 5 at the mall in Louisiana, it is from AT&T what can I do with it. I found it this past January I just had it there, laying around it is blacklisted. What do I do?

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
I found an iPhone 5 at the mall in Louisiana, it is from AT&T what can I do with it. I found it this past January I just had it there, laying around it is blacklisted. What do I do?

You should give it to the Apple Store, so it can be returned to its owner.

Why?

It's a good thing to do, and also it's useless as **** to you. So....

exizeo

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2014
Does Apple do this? It is my understanding they do not.

In some cases, the device has been reunited with the owner. In most cases though, it will not be. Still worth a try, though, if it's not too much hassle, and the iPhone would have otherwise been useless anyways.

NovemberWhiskey

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2009
In some cases, the device has been reunited with the owner. In most cases though, it will not be. Still worth a try, though, if it's not too much hassle, and the iPhone would have otherwise been useless anyways.

Actually, as stated above, I believe it is a serious privacy breach for Apple to do anything like this, and their policy is to not take possession of the phone.

veedubshafer

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2012
When I was a kid we used to glue coins to the curb. When the bum walked by he would try to pick them off and it was hysterical. This kind of thing would be a good use for that phone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.