Carrier Blacklisted question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Z8beema, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Can an unlocked iPhone 5s be blacklisted? I assume no because it isn't tied to any specific network right?

2. 869639 macrumors 6502

Well that depends...Did you purchase it factory unlocked? or did you purchase it locked to a carrier and then got it factory unlocked?

If the later, then yes it can be blacklisted because the IMEI is part of a carrier's database forever as it was sold by that particular carrier!

3. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

That makes sense. I haven't purchased one yet and am sticking to my 5 for the moment but I am thinking down the road (probably in September) I would be buying a 5s. With all the black listing and iCloud lock I feel I can no longer buy phones from Craigslist or swappa

4. CEmajr macrumors 601

If purchased full price unlocked then I believe the only way it can be blacklisted is if the person gets carrier insurance on it and reports it stolen.

5. 869639 macrumors 6502

Ya used market these days is a scary place because you can end up with a brick at anytime post purchase [could be days/weeks/months/years] but the possibility being there is the reason why I purchased by 5S brand new....wasn't going to buy a used one as I have done so with my 3GS/4/4S/5.

6. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Are you sure about this? I thought after the two year contract window the phone couldn't be blacklisted because the subsidized phone had been paid? I might be wrong but I thought that's how it worked

7. CEmajr macrumors 601

It can still be blacklisted from reporting lost/stolen even after the 2 years.

Example: person sells you their fully paid off iPhone 5, he reports it stolen a week later. He then pays the $175 deductible for the insurance claim and in turn that iPhone 5 becomes blocked.

Your safest bet is to buy a used one on eBay. In that case you get 45 days of eBay buyer protection and if you pay with a credit card, most credit card companies usually give you 180 days to dispute a charge and get your money back.

8. Z8beema thread starter macrumors 6502

Z8beema

Looks like I'll be paying full price from apple#. Is there any way to get an off contract verizon 5s from target?

9. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I upgraded with orange but in the apple store, does that mean I'm not carrier locked?

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If you upgraded and signed a contract then its locked till your contract is over or you carrier issues an unlock.
    Doesn't matter where you purchased it, if you paid full price at the Apple store then it will be unlocked.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

Carriers really need to create a system to allow people to buy phones without this risk.

One implementation might be:

Seller has to enter their IMEI into the carrier's website, then click "I AM SELLING THIS DEVICE." After that, the device can no longer be reported stolen. The buyer can then enter the IMEI upon receipt to make sure it's been reported to the carrier as sold.

It's ridiculous that one can buy a phone, then 13 months later it gets reported stolen and becomes a brick. There needs to be a way to keep this from happening.