Blackmagic DeckLink HD Extreme performance?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Macinposh, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

So,have been trying to find out some "before-after" performance of the said card for macpro. Havent found much or anything.

It does some of the renders in FCP in realtime but even the full list of what it does seem to be hard to find. Let alone some comprehensive speedup charts.

Getting the atis 4870 for my mp1.1 after SL comes out but thinking how much extra oomph you could get for 1080p editing. Also,how would the setup go in that case?
    I mean I have a 30" acd atm,and could use my 20" acd as a second display and I propably would get a small&affordable fullHD LCD to be used as a reference monitor through the HDMI of the blackmagic.

So would the 30" be connected to the ati,and the 20" to blackmagic?
    What if I would not use the 20" or have the TV in the hdmi : would the card still perform and do all the extra calculations or would I have to move the 30" to the blackmagic to get the card to be engaged.

C.

2. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

Capture cards don't really do what I think you're expecting. They all advertise it as a feature, but cards don't really do much for RT effects — the Snow Leopard effect is yet to be established but as things stand it's processor and RAM that make the difference.

The DeckLink is for connecting to a dedicated viewing monitor, and should have nothing to do with your 30". A decent TV would be better than a computer monitor for various technical reasons relating to their expected use.

3. Macinposh thread starter macrumors 6502a

This is what I am trying to find out..If the card could help out cutting render times as my first gen macpro need all the help it can get.
    That card advertizes as doing the RT renders "real time" but what and how much..
    My materiel is now from eos5mkII so I would get only limited benefit in the converting process (to prores) and running it in FCP,color and shake?

Indeed.. Checked out the pic and thought one of the connectors was a DVI one...meh.. That´s the reason for my confusion and mumbling with the monitors.
    I would connect a lcd tv to monitor but if the card dont give me any real performance gains,I might go with the Intensity card then..

So in short,in your opinion there is no performance gain in a everyday editing and grading in color?

4. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

This card will not improve your performance with ProRes material.