BlackMagic Disk Speed Test Results for HDDs

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sharky II, Jul 6, 2017.

1. Sharky II, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

Sharky II macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi,

I have a 256GB PCIe SSD for a boot drive, and it's great. My main data drive (mainly audio, but also some photos and video) is a 2TB WD Black though, around 70% full. I bought it 4+ years ago.

In the BlackMagic disk speed test I'm only getting around 100MB/sec read/write speeds, about the same as my Samsung F3 1TB from back in 2010.

Isn't that a bit slow, or is it to be expected?

If the drive is just old and slower than modern HD drives (perhaps the model is updated despite still being called a WD Black 2TB)... if I purchase a more modern WD Black, what kind of speeds could I expect?

I guess I'm asking - what speeds are you getting for traditional HDDs in a 4,1/5,1 Mac Pro with SATAII?

Cheers!

Ed

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

PCIe means it's internal inside the system, and not external on usb?

These are my speeds of my old 7200rpm HDD external disks on usb3 and usb2 cables into the new iMac on usb3.

Since I took this test, and wrote the data down. I got a usbc->sata3 adapter cable for the usb-c port and the SSD went from 265 write & 400 read to 266 write & 500 read (maxing out the disk).

It depends on what the max is for that drive, which connection it's actually on, on both sides, and what speeds the cables, connections, etc are, and what the hardware can support at all.
    read write speeds harddrives.png

3. Sharky II thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sharky II

Hi,

Thanks! I just meant that I have an M2 AHCI blade for my OS, but that's not really relevant really!

I wanted to know about the speed of people's internal 7200RPM HDDs in 5,1 Mac Pro's connected natively the internal SATA II sled bays. As we're in the Mac Pro forum I thought it was clear but re-reading my post, I can see that it might be a bit ambiguous.

Cheers!

Ed

4. flehman macrumors 6502

flehman

I had all 4 stock drive bays filled with non-SSDs back in 2015 and they were scoring around 150 read/write in BlackMagic. I can't remember if they were 5400 or 7200, they might have been mix. I now use all SSDs and they score 250-270 read/write in the stock drive bays.

5. LAHegarty, Jul 7, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2017

LAHegarty macrumors member

LAHegarty

Not sure if my drives are 7,200 but I'm getting around 60 R/W.

Floris How have you made that blackmagic disk test list?

6. h9826790 macrumors G3

h9826790

Around 100MB/s may be a bit slow for WD Black, but very normal speed for tradition HDD.