Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

When the new Mac mini and MacBook Air debuted in late October, Apple added an online store listing for an upcoming Blackmagic eGPU Pro.

At the time it was first introduced, the listing for the new eGPU said that it would be released in late November, but as pointed out by 9to5Mac, the listing now says that the device won't be coming until December.

blackmagic-egpu-pro-with-mac-mini.jpg

Priced at $1,199, the Blackmagic eGPU Pro features a Radeon RX Vega 56 graphics processor with 8GB MBM2 memory, two Thunderbolt 3 ports, four USB 3 ports, an HDMI 2.0 port, and a DisplayPort 1.4 port. It offers 85W of power delivery.

Like the prior non-Pro Blackmagic eGPU, the new version features an all-in-one aluminum enclosure. Apple's Thunderbolt 3-enabled Macs, including the Mac mini, the MacBook Air, and the MacBook Pro, work with the Blackmagic eGPU Pro.

Article Link: Apple's Upcoming BlackMagic eGPU Pro Delayed Until December

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
The price is just comical. They couldn’t even put a Vega 64 card in? I get eGPUs are expensive but this is silly. I hope no one buys it to send the message this is not reasonable. Go with another company like Razer or sonnet.

Last edited:

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
Its amazing how so many products Apple introduces are not available at the original release time frame (some cases are more than a year). Its almost like Apple management has no clue what they are doing. With Jobs people were fired for missing deadlines, but now it seems its just, "Oh, well, we'll try harder next time."

Does not give one a lot of confidence in the new Apple.

Jul 4, 2015
Paris
The price is just comical. They couldn’t even put a Vega 64 card in? I get eGPUs are expensive but this is silly. I hope no one buys it to send the message this is not reasonable. Go with another company like Razer.

It’s not easy to put a Vega 64 in. That was the original plan according to the drivers we saw in macOS betas but the 64 has some high power spikes that need a hefty PSU and cooling. Ask eGPU fans, they report these things on egpu.io

Brookzy

macrumors 601
May 30, 2010
UK
On the UK site it just says ‘coming soon’. Before it said November. So perhaps delayed until 2019 for non-US markets.

chinito77

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2015
Japan
It’s not easy to put a Vega 64 in. That was the original plan according to the drivers we saw in macOS betas but the 64 has some high power spikes that need a hefty PSU and cooling. Ask eGPU fans, they report these things on egpu.io
You telling me that an eGPU with Vega 64 will not run on a 2018 Mac Mini with BlackMagic's casing? I was thinking about using the Sonnet's box with a Vega 64.

Reactions: EndersShadow

whoisyourdaddy

Suspended
Oct 2, 2018
The price is just comical. They couldn’t even put a Vega 64 card in? I get eGPUs are expensive but this is silly. I hope no one buys it to send the message this is not reasonable. Go with another company like Razer.

Although, I would normally agree and still do somewhat, the cost is not as unreasonable as you may think. My opinion, is that many don't factor in the firmware development for the specific graphics card in the eGPU for macOS compatibility, the included hub, and the most important factor which I've not seen with other eGPU solutions is 85W PD. Also, this eGPU design claims better thermal solutions and noise reduction in comparison to similar setups. I'll digress from the positives to give my opposing stance that I would prefer the Vega 64 over 56 and an additional TB3/USB-C port for connecting another hub or dock at this or very close price.

Update. Just a quick addition because I thought to agree with others. I feel they would have increased their demand tremendously by designing a solution that the buyer could at least have the option to choose between an AMD or NVIDIA GPU. I don't believe that would have cost them that much more in R&D, production, etc. Of course, they may have considered it but marketing this product as specifically for Apple probably came down to if Apple themselves chose to offer this solution to buyers. Since they don't, then BlackMagic wouldn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: xnu

femike

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Apple should of re-designed the mac mini and put a Vega 20 in it. One would think after 4 years and loads of resources they could of done that.
And then, if you need a eGPU, these units should have upgradable graphics cards in them.

romanobstuder

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2013
Melbourne
Looked at the setup new MacMini and LG display at our local Apple shop last week. Looks sweet.
I am on a spect up iMac 27 late 2013. I am soooo ready for an upgrade.
However with so many indications that Apple will come out with new iMacs and or new display...
So I will wait some more.
Once new models are available I will look at the different offerings again.
Will an external eGPU make a difference to Photoshop? And if it does, at AUD1999.00 it would have to be outrageously fast to justify the cost.

esatamacmodular

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2014
Nvidia GeForce doesn’t support 10 bit color output and they don’t support all of Metal’s latest feature set. That would result in bugs and headache for developers.
I didn't realize this 10 bit color situation... interesting. I'd still like some mojave nvidia drivers even with bugs and no 10 bit though.
[doublepost=1543540912][/doublepost]
What's comical is your comment. This is an $800 graphics card.
hardly $800... I'm seeing $350-$450... do you have a link?

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
The price of course is stupid, but this is the Apple market. All the prices are stupid. What really blows my mind is why on EARTH did they not just put the Vega64 in there!? They stop just short of the top end model with the Vega56. I mean REALLY?! FOR THE PRO VERSION?

Good God Blackmagic. Fire your “board.”

Sasparilla

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2012
Its amazing how so many products Apple introduces are not available at the original release time frame (some cases are more than a year). Its almost like Apple management has no clue what they are doing. With Jobs people were fired for missing deadlines, but now it seems its just, "Oh, well, we'll try harder next time."

Um, its not an Apple product - so they don't have control of when it gets released.

Digital Dude

macrumors 65816

So right you are. I still buy Apple because of the ecosystem, but I keep waiting for MS or Google to provide a 'viable' alternative.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009

Ok, then drop the price by $200.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.