Blackmagic Intensity Extreme and Thunderbolt

intermedial

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
Is viewing a live input that difficult?
Sometimes. When you set up your application with the Intensity, you have to choose which feed it is, which involves some frustrating guesswork at times. Otherwise, you get nothing coming through (if for example you say 1080p but the signal is 720p, you get black)

There's no auto-detect, even in Blackmagic's software, which is a little baffling.

orgazmojedi

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 9, 2012
So taking into account that its an expensive and complex workaround would you be able to game at full preview screen with no/minimal lag?

The BM box does depict xbox capture however it only guarantees component because of HDCP. Not a massive issue its just HDMI is quicker and easier but some boxes such as my work ones will not pass HDCP through that is why they have built the option for disable as these are not home devices. I can only just justify buying a BM if it works but not £100k for a Spyder X20 :)
----------------------------------------
So if you have no room for a 2nd monitor and you need to game on your iMac through thunderbolt can you use the Intensity to achieve this (with BM software or other) and sort out the audio by other means?

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
Poole, England
I use one of these to create video tutorials in OS X. The lag is noticeable in the preview window when just moving the mouse pointer so I would not recommend this as a solution for playing games. It's much better to just buy another monitor for your XBOX.

isadorian

macrumors newbie
Apr 3, 2013
LIve hd capture and Isadora

Thanks for detaile explanation in Isadora. I still can't have in Isadora live hd feed with the blackmagic intensity Thunderbolt on a retina MBP on the last Isadora Version. And nothing clear appears on the Isadora Forum.

Have you had any success with that finally?

Thanks

----------------
Armando

Totally forgot about this thread, because I can't get it to work (on either my Air or rMBP)

I use my Intensity with tons of other applications but VLC doesn't seem to want to recognize the feed. If you have any procedures you'd like me to try I can experiment with it today.

----------

I thought I'd expand by showing what I mean.

When you go to set up an application with the Blackmagic Intensity, these are the kinds of options you usually get (this screenshot is from Isadora)

However, with VLC, this is all it shows me:

I'm going to admit, I hate VLC and haven't used it in years, so perhaps I'm not looking in the right place. If someone has some instructions on what I should be doing, please let me know.

Further edit: technically, you could get Isadora to do what you want VLC to do, in which case it would work perfectly (still no live audio however) That would require shelling out for the software and learning how to patch it, but you could probably get the demo version to do it.

Arisrod

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2013
Hi guys,

I was planning to buy a new imac but this video input issue has put me off to be honest. I was thinking to buy a Bm extreme too as a solution to HDMI in, as some vids i watched on youtube said it is not at all laggy and audio also seemed to work. What worried me most was if you are able to full screen the preview. Has anyone got any results with vlc.after all or any news regarding this whatsoever?

Cheers

cal187

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2013
Hi guys,

finally after a few days of disappointment I solved the problem. At least for me. My PS3 is using my new iMac 27 2013 as a Display in full screen.

The main problem for me was the small preview window within the Blackmagic Extreme software.
So I searched for a alternative way, I found a software that solves that problem. I use SCOPEBOX. In this software the preview window can be displayed as fullscreen.
There is a demo version of the program, full price is 99 $. This is payable in my opinion.

So I hope I could help anyone with that info.

Thanks

cal187

tokie

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2006
Hi guys,

finally after a few days of disappointment I solved the problem. At least for me. My PS3 is using my new iMac 27 2013 as a Display in full screen.

The main problem for me was the small preview window within the Blackmagic Extreme software.
So I searched for a alternative way, I found a software that solves that problem. I use SCOPEBOX. In this software the preview window can be displayed as fullscreen.
There is a demo version of the program, full price is 99 $. This is payable in my opinion.

So I hope I could help anyone with that info.

Thanks

cal187
Is there lag at all when using your PS3 through the program?

Can you plug in a TV to the HDMI out to test/verify how much lag there is on the fullscreen preview window? One frame? Ten frames?