Blackmagic Intensity HDMI Card

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by ShermDog, Apr 11, 2007.

1. ShermDog macrumors regular

I recently attended a Chicago Bulls game, and I was briefly shown on TV. Fortunately, I recorded the game on my DVR. I would like to take that footage from the DVR and put it on my Mac. I have read through these forums for possible solutions, but nothing so far has worked. I've tried using iRecord and Virtual D-VHS, but they wouldn't allow me to capture material on the DVR, only live TV. I've also tried using my camcorder as a digital/analog converter and successfully captured the footage into iMovie. But the game was recorded in Hi-def, and it looks absolutely horrible down-res'd to SD.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Ideally, I would like to keep the footage hi-def.

I had a crazy idea that involved using the Blackmagic Design Intensity HDMI capture card. I would connect my cable box/DVR (Comcast) via component cable to my A/V receiver. My receiver upconverts from component video to HDMI. I would then connect my receiver to the Blackmagic card via HDMI. Hopefully, this will allow me to capture the HD footage of me at the game onto my Mac. Does anyone know if this will work?

Any and all suggestions are welcomed. I figure being on TV was a 1 in a trillion event for me, and I'd really like to preserve this footage.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Judging by the Macs in your profile you are out of luck, unfortunately. The Intensity card needs a PCIe slot and your tower is either PCI or PCI-X

Lethal

3. ShermDog thread starter macrumors regular

I've been planning on upgrading my Powermac to a Mac Pro, so that's not really an issue. Do you think the Blackmagic card will work as my solution?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I've never set any thing up like that, but it sounds like it should work (I'd give their customer service a call). But $250 is kinda pricey for a one-off deal like that. Being in a big city you should look up some post house or dupe (duplication) houses and see how much they would charge to get the footage off your DVR. If you gave them an external HDD they could probably give you the footage as an HDV or DVCPro HD clip. It will most likely be cheaper than buying the card. Unless, of course, you plan on capturing more stuff from your DVR onto your Mac.

Lethal

5. zoetropeuk macrumors regular

I use the Intensity card with my Sony HDR-SR1 and it works incredibly well. The one main point your missing is you need Final Cut Pro to record the video. I've not been able to find any other app that can record the video stream from the card.

Matt