Blackmagic Multidock 2 - External BootCamp SSD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Alexis1537, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Alexis1537, Apr 16, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 16, 2014

Alexis1537 macrumors newbie

Folks,

I won't be posting anything as detailed as propower did recently on this thread. This is just a short post to let you know that the Multidock 2 can be used very easily as an external Thunderbolt SSD drive for a Bootcamp installation (provided your Mac is EFI 2.0 compatible, as is the nMP).

Performance is very good indeed so far. - at least from an "experience" point of view. Quick BlackMagic speed test of the drive under OSX (before I loaded it up with my migrated Bootcamp installation) revealed around 390ish Mbps read/write speeds which is less than I thought they would be. I need to work out what I'm doing wrong, if anything. No test done yet under Windows 8.1, but I'm not expecting anything wildly different.

Stay tuned for a more detailed analysis once I've put it through its passes properly.

Thanks,
    Alex

2. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You're not doing anything wrong from what I can see, Blackmagic aren't really boasting particularly fast speeds on their product page (RAID 0 x 4 SSDs @ >500MB/sec is pretty ordinary to say the least)

I get faster speeds than that from my Thunderbay (OWC) using 4 x 2TB hard drives..

Also, I have two SSDs in RAID 0 in an Akitio enclosure and get just over 700MB/sec reads from it...

3. Alexis1537 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks matreya, that's a useful insight. I will dig into this a bit more now that my config is settled and the (self-inflicted) bootcamp nightmares are over with.

To be perfectly transparent, the speeds I'm getting, while not setting the world on fire, are so far ahead of what I used to have that I'm still enjoying every minute of the Multidock 2/nMP combo.

Take care,
    Alex

4. treestar macrumors 6502

Here are the results of my test on the Blackmagic MultiDock 2:

1 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    Write: 347 MB/s
    Read: 382 MB/s

2 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB RAID 0
    Write: 638 MB/s
    Read: 694 MB/s

2 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB RAID 1
    Write: 332 MB/s
    Read: 665 MB/s

Lastly, an internal speed test (Note, AJA System Test will not write to the system drive).

1 x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 250 GB
    Read: 445 MB/s

I don't know why the MultiDock single drive interface is remarkably slower. The Samsung SSD 850 EVO is specified at a sequential write speed of 520 MB/s and a sequential read speed of 550 MB/s. System Profiler verifies a 6 Gb/s link speed, but 382 MB/s is near the SATA II spec' of 3 Gb/s.