Blackout screen at voicemail greeting page on Iphone 3g

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by smkkm5, Aug 19, 2008.

1. smkkm5 macrumors newbie

I just purchased my Iphone yesterday and have the 2.0 firmware. I did not do much to it I only stored a few contacts, music, ringtones, and apps from the apple store. I have not jailbroken it or anything.....

Here is my problem

When I click on Phone .... then go into voicemail....I click on the upper right "greeting" button and the screen goes black ..... then i click on the black screen for about 10 sec and the screen comes back on.... this happens 1 out of every 4 times I click on greeting.... Why does this happen?

2. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

NEWB!!! jk uhh i don't remember how to do this but you have to actually set up a voicemail box, it does not transfer over from your previous phone or at least mine didn't I was walking by an at&t store so i just had the cute girl in there do it but yah im sure if you SEARCH the forum you'll figure it out

3. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I purchased mine yesterday as well, sounds like you have had more luck than me though. I can't even work out how this thing turns on?!?! It doesn't matter where I press the screen it just wont start up :mad:

4. smkkm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

NEWB!!! Back atcha .... I wasnt asking on how to set up my voicemail box... it already is ... I just go into the voicemail and then click on greetings tab on the left corner and the screen goes black .... and after 5-10 secs of tapping the screen with my finger it comes back i want to know how I can fix this problem

5. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

hold the sleep wake button?? oh and i got my phone way before you buddy so I am not a newb....my voicemail was not setup, and I did not use macrumors at that time so I wouldn't have known to look here. What i am saying is if you have a serious problem such as this, it might benefit you to search the forum instead of posting useless topics such as this. I am not trying to be mean, just trying to help you from getting bashed by others like you have in your other threads. Thank you and have a nice day!!!

6. m477h3w macrumors 6502

What's a wake sleep button??? :D

7. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

idk matthew :D just sounded cool, made me look smart haha

8. m477h3w macrumors 6502

Lol, that's not difficult in this forum if you know what I mean :D

9. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

yes I know, apparently im a newb because I didn't have a voicemail box setup when i got my 3G on july 18th lol this guy must be from the east coast or something I am guessing New york whatcha think matt??

10. smkkm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Again this doesnt resolve the fact that my iphone still goes into sleep mode when i go into my voicemail and click on the greetings tab on the top left corner.... =[

11. m477h3w macrumors 6502

I wouldn't like to say TBH, being from the UK. Obviously somewhere that hasn't invented manuals yet :rolleyes:

12. bassproguy07 macrumors 6502a

bassproguy07

i suggest updating to 2.0.2 if you haven't done so, and I also suggest you SEARCH the forum for this issue cuz i Know its out there. where are you from??

13. richg916 macrumors regular

I think what you need to do is to call your voicemail number, set it up, including entering a password then go back to the visual voicemail and try hitting the button again. If this doesn't work you will need to reset your password on your voicemail.

14. ejrizo macrumors 6502

ejrizo

you are most likely covering the sensor and the phone is shutting off as if it was at your ear and you were listening to voicemail...

it goes black to you dont accidently hit any buttons...

sensors are on top of the phone

15. smkkm5 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope im not covering anything on the sensor I tap it really quickly too just to see if thats the case but its not .... It is a defect i believe

16. narly macrumors newbie

just happened to me - running latest firmware and as soon as i hit the Custom greeting button - the screen goes black.

as the other posts seem to hint at, it is the sensor turning the display off - to fix the issue for me, i simply ran my thumb over the speaker area at the top half of the iphone, and the screen comes back for me to record my custom greeting

hope that works for others

one question though - are you using an iphone with a case?