Blackra1n is out!!!

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by TSX, Oct 11, 2009.

1. dmo580 macrumors member

I sold my iPod Touch 1.0 so I have to ask this:

for iPod Touch 3G users I read Blackra1n you have to RERUN RA1N every boot meaning it has to be a tethered boot.

Well what if you don't re run it? What happens? Does this mean you can't install NEW JB apps anymore (after the new boot) or does it mean you lose all your JB apps as currently installed? Do you lose data or do you keep everything as is each time you rerun ra1n???

I'm wondering if I should go out and buy an iPod Touch 3G tomorrow or is it still very risky to deal with blackra1n??

2. elpmas macrumors 68000

elpmas

:(
    Whenever I install some of the things (e.g. Themes offered), I end up needing to restore my iPod touch...lol. I've restored it x3 :S

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I jailbroke my 3g Touch with blackra1n and it's been running pretty much perfectly. The only problem I ran into was when I tried installing Five Column Springboard then decided I didn't like it and tried to uninstall it. It kept giving me an error message during uninstall and wouldn't come off -- I had to restore and rejailbreak in order to get it off.

But anyway, what happens with the tethered jailbreak is that every time you power off or reboot, you get the "usb cable with itunes" screen, and you are stuck there until you rerun blackra1n. Once you rerun blackra1n, you get back into your ipod with all your apps, media, info, jailbreak, everything intact. I was initially afraid that I would have to run blackra1n every time I needed to respring, but respringing works normally. I'm finding that I can go for days without rebooting -- there are some stuff you get from Cydia that requires rebooting but they are few and far between, so being tethered is not such a big hassle after all.

4. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

NightSpring, I'm glad I'm not the only one who did that. But unlike you, I looked a little further. You most likely installed SBSettings, right? Well inside of it, if you hit More > Mobile Substrate Addons > Toggle the Column thingy. Then remove it, and you'll be able to uninstall it.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Aaaaaah! Wish I'd thought of that, would have saved me a ton of time restoring and rejailbreaking! But thanks for the tip, will keep in mind next time I run into trouble.