BlackRa1n Question

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by DrawnToLife, Oct 11, 2009.

1. DrawnToLife macrumors regular

So I have my 3G iPod Touch. It's on 3.1.1, but I'm going to upgrade and possibly jailbreak if you guys answer some questions for me.

1) How do I remove the jailbreak if it doesn't work out/I don't like it?
    2) Because it's tethered, what happens if the battery dies?
    3) Will I have to restore and lose all my data because Jailbreaking?

2. Tokiopop macrumors 68000

Tokiopop

To remove the Jailbreak on a normal device, you would simply click Restore in iTunes. Since it's a tethered Jailbreak, to remove it just turn off your iPod.

If your battery dies you've lost the Jailbreak, and will need to run blackra1n again.

Blackra1n wont restore the iPod, so all your apps, music, settings and anything else should remain as they are.

3. DrawnToLife thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. That was helpful.
    I'm gonna play around a bit with the jailbreak and see what happens, and if anything, just remove the jailbreak.
    But if I turn it off, all I have to do it plug it into my computer right?

4. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

im confused on this tethered jailbreak for the 3G Touch....if the battery dies then I have to do what?? What is lost?

5. TSX macrumors 68030

TSX

It works on all iPods except 3gen 8gb with 3.1 out the box.

6. macsarethebest macrumors regular

If the battery dies, you lose the jail break, and have to reinstall. The same thing will happen if you shut it down (not put to sleep). Hope this makes it clearer ;)

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Actually, I'm afraid that answer doesn't clear things up for me. I've heard reports that if an iPod that is on tethered jailbreak shuts down (either because the battery runs out or you shut it down manually, or maybe an app crashes), then it won't reboot until you hook it up to a computer and run blackra1n again. In other words, it turns into a brick until you are back at a computer. Is this true, or do you just lose the jailbreak and the iPod will function as a regular iPod?

8. skypilot55 macrumors newbie

...I'm still trying to figure out why this is something that anyone would intentionally do to what is an otherwise well functioning iPod?

Sure doesn't seem to me that the (very real) downside is worth the (potential) gain.

Not ready for prime time. Yet.

JB

9. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

so will I lose my music and settings and have to start from fresh??

10. DrawnToLife thread starter macrumors regular

If you turn it off, just plug it in, run blackra1n and then it'll boot up again. You won't lose anything, trust me, I've tried.

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Yes, I understand that. But what happens if it turns off when I'm not near a computer?

12. dmo580 macrumors member

so all my apps are still there including my installous stuff if i shut down? I just want to make sure I'm not SOL and have to reinstall/copy everything over?

It's more of a PITA to re ra1n it each time right rather than having to deal with data losses?

13. DrawnToLife thread starter macrumors regular

You can't turn it back on if you do that, I accidentally did that while I was out >.<

They stay if you shutdown, but you have to reboot with blackra1n.

14. Dieder macrumors member

15. DrawnToLife thread starter macrumors regular

It means that if you turn it off, you're screwed until you have a computer that you can reboot it with.