Blackscreen on bootcamp NOT AN IMAC

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bigtwenty, Oct 9, 2010.

1. bigtwenty macrumors newbie

Ok so Yesterday my mac was setup like this:

Macbook with OSX 10.6 and a bootcamp install of windows 7 pro all working fine

Then all of a sudden my osx install wouldnt boot anymore, it would just sit there at apple logo with the spinning gear. The windows partition would boot fine.

Long story short, I booted to the osx disk and erased the windows partition. I installed osx where windows used to be. In that new osx partition i burned a copy of disk warrior to dvd and rebooted into the dvd.

From there using disk warrior i repaired the original osx partition and i am typing from it now.

So now i went into bootcamp and created a new partition for windows and rebooted into what is supposed to be the windows install for the bootcamp partition but all i get are these two scenarios: A black screen that does nothing or a black screen telling me that there is no disk to boot from.

When i hold the power button down and reboot it goes into the original osx partition fine.

I have tried 3 different windows disks, but they all do the same thing. Also, i dont think its a driver issue like on the 27" imacs as I already had windows installed and the first time i did it, it was fine.

HELP!!!!

2. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I think you messed up your disk structure somehow.

You should go to the terminal utility in OS X and give the command "diskutil list". Then post what the utility tells you about the disk structure.

3. bigtwenty thread starter macrumors newbie

structure

Here is what i have:

/dev/disk0
    #: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER
    0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB disk0
    1: EFI 209.7 MB disk0s1
    2: Apple_HFS Macbook 390.8 GB disk0s2
    3: Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP 108.9 GB disk0s3

Looks fine to me, as that is the partition structure i have specified. How does that look to everyone? Anything I am missing? I really dont want to have to format the whole thing and start over. Large pain as I have many recording software things setup and would suck to recreate them.

4. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Your drive structure looks fine.

I would try two things.

1. Boot to the Win7 install disk and use the repair option. There could be a disk error in the Bootcamp partition which will usually be found that way or some other fault which may be repairable.

2. In Linux or OS X check if the AppleHFS.sys and AppleMNT.sys files are disabled in the Windows/system32/drivers directory. If not rename those files.

5. bigtwenty thread starter macrumors newbie

suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions. But I can't even get the install cd to boot to even get windows install cd to boot. I haven't even reinstalled the Windows OS yet. so I'm confused on why it won't even get that far.

6. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

I had that problem one time as well. It turned out that the empty spaces between partitions two and three had been written incorrectly and the Windows install process broke down after the install disk had written the OS. The next step is for Windows to boot from partition three for the first time and that booting failed. I had to backup OS X on another hard drive, use the OS X install disk to re partition the complete drive, re install OS X and use Bootcamp from fresh to recover from there.

7. bigtwenty thread starter macrumors newbie

suggestions

Well I can give that a try. So what you might be saying is that I can backup my osx install with say Carbon Copy Cloner and then format the osx drive, reformat and put the osx install back on the drive. Then start bootcamp from scratch. I think i could give that a go.

8. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

I was attempting to install Windows XP but when I ran the operation a black screen has appeared stating 'no bootable drive- insert book disk and press any key.'

Apparently I grabbed the wrong, unmarked disc.

Only problem, the current disk will NOT eject and when I try to hard restart it's defaulting to the Windows partition which puts me back to the boot error.

Help!

9. bigtwenty thread starter macrumors newbie

stuck disc

Just hold the option key upon booting it will give you the option to eject the disc.

10. rwoolsey macrumors member

rwoolsey

Okay, new question.

When I restart my MBPro it appears to be defaulting to the Windows partition because I get the same black screen with the error prompt. Funny part is... I removed the Windows partion altogether.