Blacksn0w Wifi ProblemFix

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by legaleye3000, Nov 11, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

Someone on Geohot's forums mentioned that installing ultrasn0w after Blacksn0w will fix the wifi issue.

Anyone try or know of any other fix?

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Don't install ultrasn0w. It is not designed for the 5.11.07 baseband, and installing it will do nothing to fix the problem that resetting network settings would not do. Geohot has spoken about this on Twitter, saying it is a ridiculous thing to do. He says if people have noticied any correlation between ultrasn0w and restored WiFi it is simply because installing ultrasn0w restarts CommCenter, which happens every time your reboot anyway. So I repeat, don't install ultrasn0w: it can do nothing good for your phone.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

I reset network settings a few days ago and it worked. This time its not...

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Keep rebooting and resetting. But don't install ultrasn0w. The way to fix a software conflict is not to install another piece of conflicting software.

5. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Rebooted and resetted and it finally came back to work. I wonder if Geohot is working on a fix or not....

6. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Geohot says the problem is not with his code, but with Apple's. Installing blackra1n seems to bring out some latent bug in CommCenter for a tiny minority of people. He's declared the issue officially closed.

7. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

From looking around, it seems like its affecting a lot more than a "tiny" amount of people...

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

It does, but it's clear from here: link that it's not a problem caused by Geohot

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

But what you are seeing is in large part a self-selection effect. Of course most people don't post to say "blacksn0w worked great for me;" they only post if they're having a problem. Blacksn0w has been installed by tens of thousands of people, and only a very small fraction of those have had problems with it. I'm not saying it's not a big deal for those people, but the vast majority of people have no problems at all with blackns0w.

10. mdwsta4 macrumors 65816

Please help. all of a sudden i noticed my wifi not working. rebooted a few times, turned on/off wifi, respring, etc, nothing worked.
    decided to 'reset network settings' and now my phone is in a constant state of rebooting!!!

11. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

Is the wifi issue happening to people on 3.1.2 who have not unlcked their phones?

12. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

GeoHotz posted a link from his blog to people on 3.1.2 who aren't even jailbroken having the issue. It's a problem with Apple's code.

13. radionickhead macrumors regular

I had a problem with my wifi/gps and youtube and I googled around and found people using pushfix.
    If you google it you'll find the repository on cydia, the original one moved I think it is at http://fishbone.ge now.
    I installed it and everything worked, then cydia wanted to update it and I did and it seemed to break everything, I re-installed and I'm back to it working btu its still asking to update - but i won't.

14. ET007 macrumors newbie

I had similar problems with wifi loosing its connection after I turned off my iPhone 3GS (with 3.12 jailbroken and unlocked with blackra1n/blacksn0w) in the evening and turning it on in the morning. Only after I held the power off and home button for 10 seconds and then let it restart was I able to get my wifi connection again. The network reset did not work for me. Yesterday I came across a post in modmyiphone. The steps in the post did not fully apply to me so I changed it and did the following (see below). Since then I do NOT have any wifi issues:

I went into Rock (you can install Cydia and Rock on your jailbroken iphone. If you do not have Rock, you can install it from cydia)

In the manage settings of Rock, I added Geohotz's Blacksn0w link
    http://blackra1n.com/.

Once it was added, I went out of Rock

Then I went back into rock and did a search for Blacksn0w.

Even though my iphone 3GS was jailbroken and unlocked with blackra1n and blacksn0w, I installed blacksn0w on it.

Once this was done, I turned the phone off and on again.

And the rest is history. I have not had any problems. Everything works!:)

Hope this helps. However, I take no responsibility for your actions on your iphones.

15. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Or you can do this with Cydia and leave Rock out of it. :D

16. ET007 macrumors newbie

If you google around, some people reported the same wifi issues when blacksn0w was installed through cydia. I am not sure why but the posts mention when blacksn0w was installed through Rock, they did not have any issues. You don't need to take my word for it. I was just posting something that worked for me since I read other people had the same wifi issues that I had. I enjoy Cydia and until yesterday, I only used Cydia to install applications. I am not sure why Rock worked blacksn0w better. You should do whatever works the best for you.:apple:

17. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

It didn't. It's entirely coincidence that the time you used Rock it worked. Rock installed it exactly the same way Cydia would have. Reinstalling it just caused CommCenter to restart, and that gave your phone an opportunity to get out of the race condition it was stuck in. You could just as easily have done it through Cydia. Or Blackra1n. Or you could have just reset your network settings. Or rebooted your phone. The problem is not with blacksn0w or with how blacksn0w is installed, but with CommCenter.

18. atlantatan1 macrumors member

I had same problem no wifi, run 3.1.2 with blackra1n,after play with it I have to turn my bluetooth on for my wifi to pick up.

19. edmartin macrumors member

This worked for me...

Over on the Apple forums, I found a suggestion that worked for me & for others.

I, too, had tried "reset network settings" and reboots multiple times. No dice.

The suggestion on the Apple forums was to turn on airplane mode and then reset network settings. What they said was that without airplane mode turned on, "reset network settings" can't truly reset everything because some elements are still in use. Suspect as that sounds, I went ahead & tried it:

1) Settings -> Airplane Mode ->On
    2) Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings
    3) Wait for restart
    4) Ensure Airplane Mode is off after reboot (it automatically turned back on for me after "Reset Network Settings")
    5) Settings -> Wi-Fi -> join your network

24 hours later, I am still connected.

20. Dartanion macrumors newbie

Thanks edmartin! I had this issue and your fix worked. Although wifi disappears again if you turn the phone off and on regularly...

21. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

ill give this method a try