Blade SSD in Non-Fusion?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Kirkle, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Kirkle macrumors member

Is it possible to install a blade-style ssd in a non-Fusion 2013 iMac?

2. paul-n macrumors regular

I read that the connector is not installed if its not needed, but don't if that is usual.

3. All Taken macrumors 6502a

The connector is in all 27" models and it is only in the higher 21.5" model.

4. trustever macrumors 6502

What I did hear is that after the first batch in November December 2012 the one that come after all had the spare sata port also if not purchased with the fusion

5. Kirkle thread starter macrumors member

So unfortunately, the only way I'll probably know for sure if to open up mine (27" btw) and find out whether it actually has an extra SATA port or not. :(

6. All Taken macrumors 6502a

No, re-read my post. The 27" models have the connector regardless of whether or not they actually have fusion. Your machine will have the connector.

7. Kirkle thread starter macrumors member

Thank you.

Anyone have any suggestions for blade SSDs?

8. Arfdog macrumors 6502

Try OWC

9. All Taken macrumors 6502a

Avoid OWC they are severely overpriced. Your best bet is an official Apple blade SSD from a retina Macbook pro or iMac. They have TRIM enabled by default and obviously are fully supported hardware wise. eBay/Craigslist is your friend.

There is one tiny caveat to your question - you definitely have the slot but the retaining screw for that slot to hold the blade in place might not be present.... if it's not present then it's easy enough to get but worth thinking about.

10. zackkmac, Apr 17, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2013

zackkmac macrumors 6502a

According to post 42 here:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1507713&page=2

This guy has a base 27" with the regular 1TB HD and his logic board has the blade SSD port and the screw hole but no screw, which would need to be obtained separately. As All Taken has said, it is pretty apparent that all 2012 27" iMacs are equipped with this port.