Blame it on the games?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Trogledyte Mac, Jun 10, 2012.

1. Trogledyte Mac macrumors regular

Trogledyte Mac

Hi all,
    I have a problem...

the problem first occurred after installing modern warfare 2 on a Windows xp partition on my iMac. After opening the game and starting the first mission, a few seconds in the game suddenly colors start rolling in bars at the top of my screen. They go away sometimes for a few seconds and come back just the same as before. But it doesn't matter as the computer as already frozen and i have to reboot. After rebooting again in windows I restart the game in safe mode. Re- apply the resolution settings and start the game again. And the same thing happens again. The next day and figuring windows is to blame, I start up in lion and reformat the windows partition and install it again. After that I restart again in lion wanting to check for mail etc. and notice it takes longer than normal for my startup. No problem yet, it took a bit longer but it got there. I open mail and suddenly the same thing happens as in windows. Colored flashing bars on top of the screen and the iMac freezes completely. After this one I can't get it to startup anymore, not even from an external hd or in safe mode. The grey little apple comes on screen and the loading wheel starts and freezes after a minute or so. Safe mode startup the same thing. The status bar doesn't even get half way and the wheel freezes.
    My Mac:
    Running latest version of lion, iMac 24", 500gb hd, 3,06 ghz duo core, 4 gb ram, not really sure about the gfx card since I can't check anymore. I know it's nvidia and has 512 mb.
    External hd is running last version of snow leo.

Any suggestions?
    Regards and Thanks.

2. Nyy8 macrumors 6502a

Nyy8

I am no "expert", but it sounds to me like a failing Video card, or a logicboard. If I were you, I would go to the apple store, and set up an appointment with the genius bar. If you are not under applecare, lets just say time to take out the credit card.

3. Gloops macrumors member

The GPU will be a Nvidia 8800 GS (which I believe is really a rebranded under-clocked 8800M GTS), and it sounds like it's dead.

4. leman macrumors 604

Yep, it sounds like a failing GPU. The game probably just made it more clear, because it stressed the GPU. Are you still under warranty?

5. Trogledyte Mac thread starter macrumors regular

Trogledyte Mac

Hi all and thanks for the info!

:eek: The iMac is from late 2007... is it worth to repair it...? How much dingeling will it cost.? :mad:
    Or maybe it is better buy a new one?

Regards!

6. leman macrumors 604

Repairs are very expensive. You will be probably better of selling it for parts and getting a new one. Given that the new iMacs are supposed to be released later today and will be more then two times faster than your current iMac, I'd say its a no-brainer.

7. Razorhog macrumors 65816

Razorhog

Ditto. Break it down for parts if you have the time and list them on ebay. Or just sell the whole thing on ebay. Either way, it's still worth some money that will help the sting of a new iMac. :)

8. Trogledyte Mac thread starter macrumors regular

Trogledyte Mac

Thanks all... Can't wait no longer! Breaking it down for the moment and waiting
    for the end of the month for my new & old one... :eek:
    :D