Blamed for dead pixels on new retina mbp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dajopas, Jan 9, 2014.

1. dajopas macrumors newbie

I was surprised when I opened
    my one month old retina mbp 13" to find several dead pixels. I brought it to Apple and they said they "normally don't fix this under warranty" and that it was my fault because something must have gotten caught between the keyboard and screen when I closed it. Although, I have been taking very good care of my laptop and do not recall finding anything wedged between the screen. I just wanted to get a third opinion. My fault or faulty screen?

And, are the retina screens very fragile?

2. Shmanky macrumors regular

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Stuck pixels or dead pixels generally aren't the users fault because it would take some serious pressure to cause them. If such pressure was applied, then either the glass, the keyboard, or the lid would show the pressure strain. They could potentially have a case if the Apple logo was shining through to the display. This is more common in cMBP if they had significant weight set on top of them. Cloudy spots would be more of a possibility of user fault, and would not exactly be obvious.

4. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

5. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Also those Retina screens are by no means fragile. They are covered in glass which would crack rather than bend usually, and the lid is aluminum which would dent in towards the back of the LCD panel. As long as you take care of the screen it will be fine.