Blank admin login?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by yanki01, Aug 28, 2014.

1. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

My wife's MBP running 10.9.4 has been giving her a blank admin login page. I'm not sure what's causing it? Has anyone seen this before and know of a fix?

I have an appointment with an apple genius tomorrow for her iPhone home button not working. I'm not sure if they'll look at her MBP with no warranty.

Attached Files:

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That is odd. Has anybody been deleting files on there lately or running any of those "cleaner" utilities?

A command-r boot to recovery and reinstall of the OS would likely fix this. Don't erase anything, just click reinstall at the recovery screen.

This will not delete her data, but you should have a backup first just to be safe.

3. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

I'll try that Weasle, thanks. no cleaning utilities or anything like that being run. it's very weird and this started some time ago.

she's a heavy user of Office programs and others. More RAM and an SSD should help it speed up some. I hope to have that done in the next couple of weeks.

4. NoBoMac macrumors 68000

"She's a heavy user of Office". There was a recent thread where the person was trying to install custom fonts for Office, and ran into the same problem.

Don't know the specifics, but, Mac uses fonts of type X while some of the custom Office fonts are type Y, and those are incompatible. So, maybe, custom fonts on the system that messed things up? Reinstall OS and not install the custom fonts (at least the non-compatible ones, or convert them).

5. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

that makes sense. she was installing custom fonts for our wedding invitations a few months ago. that may be the culprit, hopefully.

6. yanki01 thread starter macrumors 68040

yanki01

the issue was in the font book. I guess there were some corrupted fonts and it caused a blank login box for some reason? I cleared them out and all works as normal.