blank area around the screen? Normal?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by docal97, Jul 30, 2008.

1. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

I am not sure if this is normal. I have what seems to be a perfect screen. Except, there seems to be a small blank area bordering the viewable screen area all the way around the actual screen. Almost like the resolution on your computer monitor wasn't set correctly and thus a portion of the screen real estate wasn't being used.

I don't seem to notice the on my first gen iphone. I mainly am aware of it on my 3rd gen iphone when outdoors (bright lighting since the unused portion appears dark).

I don't want to take the thing into the genius, but i would like to hear from fellow members if they notice the same issue.

2. slicecom macrumors 68020

Yes, its normal.

3. patcase86 macrumors newbie

I have the same thing on mine. I asked my buddy (who has a 1st gen iPhone) if he has the same thing. He said yes.

I agree though, it's pretty annoying outside. I've found that it's really reflective when light hits it, making it hard to see the screen in sunlight.

4. glanv macrumors regular

Agreed, perfectly normal.

I have become obsessed with looking for things wrong with my phone and will be getting my third iPhone tomorrow. To be honest I wish I had just carried on enjoying the device, but I haven't and have spent the last week inspecting and inspecting and then.......inspecting!! I swear that come tomorrow evening, after a full 15min inspection before leaving Apple Store, I am going back to the enjoyment phase!

5. docal97 thread starter macrumors 6502a

docal97

thanks for the quick replies. The screen is really just incredible, so i can't understand why Apple would not take advantage of all the real estate available.

6. philgilder macrumors 68000

because screens come in standard sizes

and the way the case is designed gives the screen a bit of leeway all around to be slightly out of place