Blank Blue Screen on Leopard install - Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by laclef, Aug 18, 2008.

1. laclef macrumors newbie

I know this has been discussed on this forum but I ran into a problem executing the fix that I am hoping someone can shed some light on.

I installed Leopard on my IBook (running Panther before). I now have the infamous "blank blue screen of death." I searched the forum and have tried the different fixes regarding deleting the applicationenhancer files but not luck. I have also read that I should simply reinstall Leopard using "archive and reinstall." The problem is that I don't have the 12 gb available anymore to archive and reinstall. I also can't access my hard drive to delete the files necessary to free up the space. Long story short, I tried accessing the drive with another mac but apparently have unrelated issues with my other computer that doesn't let me view my IBook as a target drive.

Does anyone have suggestions on how I can access and delete files on my IBook so that I can archive and reinstall Leopard? Thanks in advance for all the help.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Well you could boot off your install CD and navigate the directories and delete files withe Terminal. I think it is located in the Tools menu after you select your language.

Some basic commands
    cd (change directory)
    ls (lists files)
    rm (deletes files - not just to the trash)

Here is a little introduction to navigating directories and viewing their contents via Terminal
    http://macapper.com/2007/03/08/the-terminal-an-introduction/

List of Terminal commands
    http://www.ss64.com/osx/

When deleting files in a directory (folder) first navigate to the directory so that you do not have to enter it every time (terminal is case sensitive)
    cd /Volumes/HDname/Users/username/Documents/folder
    then delete the file
    rm various.doc

if multiple files of a similar name like various01 various02 etc...
    rm various* (this way everything starting with various is deleted)

to delete the whole directory go back one level
    cd /Volume/HDname/Users/username/Documents
    then
    rm folderdo not go to /Volumes/HDname then type
    sudo rm -rf (you will hose all files)

3. laclef thread starter macrumors newbie