Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonw123

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 30, 2011
Sorry...I moved this to the proper forum...

I have a 13" MacBook Pro and an iMac running fully updated OS X 10.7.2. Hadn't burned a CD ROM on either for a couple of months and now both will play CDs but the OS won't properly recognize blank media or write to it. OS via Disk Utility recognizes the CD but won't eject it. Have to reboot to eject. This doesn't show up any longer when a blank is inserted.

burndata1.png

The blank doesn't show up on the desktop, in Finder, or iTunes. Can listen to CD or copy to iTunes but if I try to burn a blank I get an error in iTunes: Device in use by other application. Have verified all settings and tried most of the "hail Mary" fixes posted on Apple Support and this forum with no positive result.

Here's the output of the log for a success:

Finder: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898 HC10 via ATAPI.
Finder: Requested burn speed was max, actual burn speed is 24x.
Finder: Burn underrun protection is supported, and enabled.
Finder: Burn finished, Mon Oct 24 14:54:22 2011
Finder: Verify started, Mon Oct 24 14:54:22 2011
Finder: Verify finished, Mon Oct 24 14:54:55 2011

Here's a log entry for the new failure problem from the MacBook Pro:

iTunes: Burn started, Sun Jan 29 15:46:45 2012
iTunes: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898 HC10 via ATAPI.
iTunes: Burn failed, Sun Jan 29 15:46:45 2012
iTunes: Burn error: 0x80020040 One of the volumes on the disc is still in use.
iTunes: Burn started, Sun Jan 29 15:47:13 2012
iTunes: Burning to CD-R media with SAO strategy in MATSHITA DVD-R UJ-898 HC10 via ATAPI.
iTunes: Burn failed, Sun Jan 29 15:47:13 2012
iTunes: Burn error: 0x80020040 One of the volumes on the disc is still in use.

The iMac has identical entries. Can't find any process using the device.

Both systems worked flawlessly last time I used the drives. No configuration changes on either system. Both are current with all updates. Two spontaneous failures like this is unlikely hardware related.

I am becoming quickly disillusioned with Apple quality and reliability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.