Blank CD-RW won't mount; is automatically ejected

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mrzeigler, Jul 9, 2009.

1. mrzeigler macrumors regular

A handful of searches haven't turned up a solution for this here or on the web, so hopefully someone can help.

I'm running 10.5.7 on a 1.25GHz PowerPC G4 with an internal Superdrive. The System Profiler clearly states that it can write CD-R and CD-RW formats, in addition to various DVD formats.

I'm trying to burn files to a blank CD-RW. I insert the disc, the drive runs for a couple of seconds and then spits it back out.

I'm using Memorex Ultra Speed CD-RW discs. They are brand new and blank. I've tried with three different discs and the problem is consistent.

I've restarted my computer and the problem persists.

When I insert CD-R blanks, they mount, no problem.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Edit: OK, the trick for searching for this problem is to specifically use the brand/type of discs. Now I see a bunch of similar complaints online. No solution yet ...

2. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Blank CD-RW won't mount

RE:
    "I'm using Memorex Ultra Speed CD-RW discs. They are brand new and blank. I've tried with three different discs and the problem is consistent.
    When I insert CD-R blanks, they mount, no problem.
    Any thoughts/suggestions?"

Try something _other than_ Memorex-brand blanks. Some of the worst media there is....

- John

3. upinflames900 macrumors 6502a

upinflames900

The computer is not recognizing the disc as a viable disc so I would have to agree try a different brand of disc. If that still doesn't work then I would say your optical drive is not working right.

4. mrzeigler thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the advice; I'd pretty much reached the same conclusion.

Glad I didn't throw away the receipt from Office Depot.

5. Fishrrman macrumors G3

RE: Blank CD-RW won't mount

RE:
    "Thanks for the advice; I'd pretty much reached the same conclusion."

My suggestion for media:
    Verbatim.
    I've always had good results with Verbatim blanks.

Check "salescircular.com" every Sunday to see if there are any on sale.

Newegg.com often has rebates on Verbatim 100-pack CD-R's. Works for me.

By the way, the only times I've tried using re-writeable CD blanks, I never achieved satisfactory results. I think you'd do better just using standard CD-R's. If you don't "fill the disk", you can choose to "make disc appendable" and add more data later in a "second session"....

- John

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I second the Verbatim suggestion - has worked reliably for me consistently. Also, avoid discs that aren't opaque - Macs tend to reject these discs.