Blank Cydia Icon After iTunes Update

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dannywalls76, Apr 26, 2012.

1. dannywalls76 macrumors newbie

Has anyone seen this before? A friend of mine has just got an iPhone 3GS off eBay and updated it through iTunes to 5.1. However, when we looked at it in more depth, the previous owner had upgraded the modem firmware to 6.15.00. Now the update seems to have gone through OK, but a blank Cydia icon remains on the springboard.
    I've been scratching my head for hours and can't figure it out. Would the iTunes update not have deleted all traces of a previous JB?

2. dhlizard, Apr 26, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2012

dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Get iWipeCache from Cydia and run it. If that does not fix it, try turning the phone on and off

Edit: Do another restore using custom IPSW

3. b0bab0i macrumors regular

When the phone has iPad BB, you are only suppose to restore using a custom IPSW. Can you make calls/texts on the phone still?

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Your friend's not very bright and didn't bother to do any homework. Talk about lazy. :rolleyes:
    You can't do do an update in itunes, the standard way, with the ipad bb. You must always use a custom firmware.

5. dannywalls76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha. I know that. I've being telling him for years. The problem is that he has never owned an iPhone before and so is not familiar with jailbreaking. I think he just plugged it into his computer and iTunes threw up the new software update offer and he took it, not realizing that the phone was jailbroken. He upgraded from 4.2.1.
    Has anyone got any ideas what we can do with it? I always thought that the stock 5.1 would have bricked the phone, but it boots up ok. Not sure if it works as a phone (texts and calls) yet. is there any way of downgrading IF the SHSH blobs were saved?

6. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Only the firmware. Not the baseband. Restore using a custom IPSW through redsn0w.

7. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

You can restore it to stock 4.1 fw if you don't want to mess with customs firmware, then reflash ipad baseband, jailbreak with redsn0w and then install ultrasn0w to unlock it.

Iclarified.com has all the tutorial you need to do this.

8. dannywalls76 thread starter macrumors newbie

Brilliant. Thanks for all your help. I shall give it a go.