blank discs not recognized on powermac g5

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kitty maer, Apr 24, 2007.

1. kitty maer macrumors newbie

hello,

i hope i'm putting this in the correct forum; i'm new here!

i have a powermac g5 dual 1.8 tower. the dvd burner is a pioneer dvd-rw dvr-107d. according to the system profiler, this should be able to burn either - or +R discs and cds. also, the computer belonged to a friend who was using it to burn dvds up until the day she delivered it to me.

i switched out the harddrive and reinstalled everything fresh (in case that matters.)

now when i put in a blank dvd or cd (different brands, different formats) it comes up with an error message that says: This disc cannot be used because it is not recognized.

this is after finder says i've inserted a blank dvd, what would i like to do with it....

it WILL read any dvd or cd.

any ideas what could be wrong? i find it difficult (though obviously not impossible) that the drive would suddenly start failing as soon as it came into my hands.

any suggestions would be most welcome!

thanks in advance,
    kitty

2. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Two quick things to try:

Repair permissions on your hard disk.

Download and apply the 10.4.9 "Combo" updater.

3. kitty maer thread starter macrumors newbie

We repaired all the the permissions and did the hardware check. No change. The drive burned dvds, so it's a super-drive, not a combo-drive; isn't that correct? I thought the combo drive only did cds....

4. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

What did you select to do when the finder asked what would you like to do with it? I assume you chose to open it in the finder.

5. kitty maer thread starter macrumors newbie

doesn't seem to matter what I tell it to do, open in finder, open utility disc, etc... same error message comes up that it doesn't recognize the disc.