Blank DVDs, is this normal?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fujikon, May 2, 2010.

1. Fujikon macrumors member

When I insert a blank DVD on my MBP, I get a pop-up asking me what to do with the disc. However, after I had made a selection, the DVD does not show up on my desktop or on finder. Is this as expected? I can still burn on the disc, by Command-clicking a file I want to burn....

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You either use Finder to burn via a BURN FOLDER

[​IMG]

or use BURN or TOAST TITANIUM to burn.

That the BLANK DVD does not show up on the Desktop or in Finder's Sidebar is normal, as there is no data on it which could be represented.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I normally get a burn folder on the desktop. It's not normal for it to be missing, although there's probably an option somewhere.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That may have something to do with System Preferences > CDs & DVDs > Open blank DVDs in Finder.
    [​IMG]

I have de-selected that from the beginning (Mac OS X 10.3) so I don't get that what you get.

OP, check in System Preferences and see what is set there.

5. Fujikon thread starter macrumors member

I have mine set to "Ask me what to do" for the first two options, then Open in iTunes, Open iPhoto, and Open DVD Player for the next three options (in that order). And as I stated, I don't see the DVD or a burn folder on my desktop. What you are saying makes sense though. So to clarify, you are getting what I'm getting where you don't see the blank DVD on your desktop and in finder, correct?

6. flat five macrumors 601

flat five

if you set your prefs to 'open finder' upon blank dvd insertion (or choose open finder when prompted via 'ask what to do') then you will get the behavior you're after.. the blank dvd will appear on the desktop and the sidebar..

[edit] i'm pretty sure i'm trying to say the same thing as spinnerlys said above :D