blank dvds

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by famousj26, Nov 14, 2008.

1. famousj26 macrumors newbie

my emac wont recognize blank dvds when i insert them into the computer. what is wrong anything updates i can d/l to fix this problem thanks

2. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What kind of eMac is it? Exactly what kind of blank DVDs are they? What happens? Does it just spit them out? Have you tried different DVDs? Does the drive still accept other kinds of disks like CDs?

3. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

syas its a powermac 4.4, G4, it just trys reading it then spits it back out, it read other cds just fine. i tried memorex dvds and nothing, so i took them back and bought maxell and still nothin

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you used blank DVDS in this machine before? What does it say on the packet of DVDs? DVD-RWs? DVD+RWs? DVD DL?

What OS is running on this machine? Is it OS X? If so, go to the Menu Bar>Apple Menu>About This Mac>More Info>Hardware>Disc Burning

What does it say?

5. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

never stuck blank dvds in it b4, dvds are (maxell dvd-r)

TOSHIBA DVD-ROM SD-R1312:
    Firmware Revision: 1A06
    Interconnect: ATAPI
    Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
    Cache: 2048 KB
    Reads DVD: Yes
    CD-Write: -R, -RW
    Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
    Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw
    Media: No

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

It's what is called a Combo Drive. You can't burn DVDs in it. It spits them out because the drive doesn't recognise the discs. It can read them, but not write to any kind of DVD. :(

7. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

aw man that sucks, is there a way to compress large files say 700-1000mb down to fit on a normal cd then. or any driver updates that will allow it to read blank dvds, and thank man uve been a big help

8. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

There's nothing you can download or update that will change the drive. The only two things you can do is to either open up the eMac and replace the drive with a DVD-RW Superdrive, or buy an external DVD burner with preferably a Firewire 400 connector and USB 2.0.

Depending on what kind of files they are, you can try zipping them before trying to get them onto a CD. Some files don't compress too well but if you select a file that's on your desktop, and either right-click on it, or hold down the Ctrl key and click, you'll get a menu that says 'Compress xxx' or maybe Archive. Depending on the OS you're using, the same command is in the File Menu under Archive or Compress.

Give that a try.

9. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

not seeing a compress menu, is there a program that will compress files for me?

10. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What OS is your eMac running?

11. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

10.4.11 , idk if thats right cuz im not a mac man, if thats not what ur lookin for can u tell me where to go to look it up, im trying to compress movies on my computer to fit on a disc

12. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Second line down: Version 10.x.x ?

If it's 10.4.x you can compress files straight from the Finder, but maybe the location of the command is moved from 10.5 Leopard which I'm using. If it's 10.4.x check this out.

13. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

ok i archived it, its in a zip file now, can i burn it to a cd and play it on my xbox 360?? its saying its not a movie file now and wont even let me play it using quicktime, is that movie lost now?

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

No. You can't play it on your Xbox. And no, the movie is not lost, the zip is a copy, and if the original is gone you can always unzip it by double-clicking on it.

If you'd told me that it was a movie that you wanted to put on a DVD for your Xbox, I would have said 'no way' from the start. :D

Get a DVD burner. ;)

15. famousj26 thread starter macrumors newbie

well ive stuck movies on a cd that play on my xbox, but they r like 701.4 and less that will burn and play, if its bigger then that it wont burn to a normal cd, but thanx man for all ur help, i really appreciate it

16. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Sorry I couldn't help more but just as a final note and I don't know where you got the movies from, but in future, please bear in mind the forum rules here at MacRumors.

;)