Blank full screen video

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Acronyc, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Acronyc macrumors 6502

After about one great month with my MacBook I've ran into an issue. Any video played full screen in a browser like Safari or Firefox has artifacts, but when I move the cursor around to display the controls the artifacts disappear.

I loaded up a purchased video in iTunes and it's worse: the screen on full screen videos goes completely blank with sound continuing, but if I move the cursor to show the controls, change the volume or change the brightness the video comes back. The video goes blank again once these overlays disappear. Only in full screen.

Trying to see if it is the hardware, I booted Windows up, installed iTunes, and videos played full screen without a problem. No disappearing full screen video and no artifacts.

So I guess it's something to do with El Capitan and/or iTunes. I have two other Macs (2014 mini and 2013 rMBP) running El Capitan without these issues.

I'd like to avoid a complete reinstall or trip to the Apple Store if I can, but any suggestions?

Cheers.

2. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, no replies, which is fine, but just in case anyone has this problem I've resolved it for now with a reinstall of El Capitan. Videos work fine now, with no blank screens in full screen Internet/iTunes videos and no artifacts showing up. I'm refraining from updating iTunes and will stick with version 12.2.2.25, just in case that was the problem for iTunes videos.

One interesting and annoying thing I've noted is that iTunes reverts to the default color profile for some reason when videos are played full screen.

3. SteveJUAE, Nov 15, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2015

SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Well done, nothing like self help :) thanks for the feedback I'm sure it will help someone

4. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. :) One thing I forgot to mention is I did a reinstall after deleting my OS X partition (I have Windows installed also). An initial reinstall didn't do anything, so it took an erase and clean install to fix the issue.

5. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Out of interest was your browser ok on the Windows side and is was only in OSX when you had the problem

6. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, everything was fine on the Windows side, all browsers and even iTunes. So it's not a hardware issue but something in OS X, but not sure really what. Hope it gets resolved but I'm reticent to do any updates to iTunes or El Capitan right now. :/

7. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Yes horrid when your confidence is knocked and even more strange when it was across multiple browsers in OSX.

Not sure what timemachine backs up, but if can BU all then a restore would be easier if El Cap etc screws it up again

8. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, the problem came back. No artifacts but the screen goes blank in iTunes and Safari when playing videos full screen. Fine in Windows 8.1. :( Such a shame because I love everything else about this laptop.

9. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Well may as load El Capitan as it's a software thing and see if it helps

10. Acronyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Updates to iTunes and El Capitan didn't work, but I found out the problem. It was my color profile. I thought about what I mentioned earlier with the color profile reverting to the default one when playing videos in full screen. It would always flickr first when it did this. I went back to the default color profile and it had no problems! I then just made a new profile and everything is working fine now! :)

If anyone else has this problem, check your color profile to see if that's causing the issue.

11. SteveJUAE macrumors 68000

SteveJUAE

Well done glad it was something so minor yet annoying to solve