Blank hard drive, can't install from discs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sooper7, Jun 19, 2011.

1. sooper7 macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Had to reformat my hard drive for numerous reasons and set it as mac OS extended (journaled).

I thought you could install to a fresh drive from a retail snow leopard disk by booting and holding c. After a few seconds a flashing folder with a question mark appeared (having done some research i think this means it is trying to find a volume to boot from?). I left this screen on for a good 30 mins incase it was just being slow to read it and i could hear the drive spinning during this time, but nothing...

I have tried to install from both a snow leopard retail install and also the install disks that came with the macbook pro.

Any ideas how to get an os on to the machine? (for info, I have another machine that I can target mode from).

Thanks in advance.

2. sooper7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Holy crap! Not only was your reply very very fast, but that was spot and on I just did it and it worked!
    Do you have a Paypal account? I'll send you some cash...you saved me taking it to a repair place! (No, I am serious)
    Great , clear crib sheets by the way!
    Thanks

3. simsaladimbamba

Glad it could help. If you really want to spend money, invest it in some charity or nifty backup solution for your data (you might need one one day).
    Have a good day.

4. sooper7 thread starter macrumors newbie