Blank iPhone Screen (Will Apple Replace?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CPGuru, Dec 27, 2008.

1. CPGuru macrumors newbie

Hi,

I have an iPhone 3G that I got on the first day it came out from AT&T. I did not purchase AppleCare but I still have 7 months left on the regular warranty. I seem to have a problem with the iPhone where when i finish with a call, or when i want to pull it away from my ear (for example, if an operator asked me to dial #1 to go to blank) to dial a number, or if i want to turn on the speaker, the screen is blank, almost like the sensor thinks its still close to the face. And i can't do anything to get it to show. Another problem is, when I recieve a call, I slide to answer, I say hello once, twice, and some more, and look to the screen and it shows up normal sometimes, but the time on the call is :00 (like the call never got answer), and when I end the call, I get it as a missed call. The problem is that these happen about a quarter of the time, but it is still enough to tick me off. Will apple fix or replace my iPhone?

Thanks

P.S. It is not jailbroker, and there is no case/invisishield film covering sensor.

Also, I'am asking because I live in a sandusky, ohio and the nearest Apple store is hours away, and the local AT&T store has done nothing but replace the sim card (which is obviously not he problem) and I don't want to drive that distance and get turned away.

2. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

3. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Something is wrong with the proximity sensor. Apple will defiantly cover you.

Call Apple, tell them the situation. Do what they say (they might ask you to do a restore, so do that, and who knows that might fix it) but if it doesn't fix it, tell them you restored, and then they will have you schedule a genius appointment.

Good luck.

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Stop by and it should be about a 10 minute transaction. When did you do a backup last?

5. CPGuru thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I think I'll call them first, I don't want to drive two hours away if I am not sure that they will take care of the problem.

6. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

So they will do it, but they won't be happy about it? :p