Blank menu options in Safari context menu

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by timelord726, Apr 12, 2008.

1. timelord726 macrumors member

I've just noticed that there appear to be some blank menu options in my Safari context / right-click menu, which are creating unnecessary extra lines.

See here:

[​IMG]

Is there any way to find out what's causing it and make them go away? I realize it's a minor annoyance, but surely there must be a way to kill them...

2. timelord726 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, my problem has now gotten considerably stranger. These lines appeared nowhere before, but now they're appearing in Logic Studio as well.

See below:

[​IMG]

What the hell? This seems an awfully bizarre problem -- and I never experienced it before today.

3. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that might be a system-wide error.

clear system cache?

4. timelord726 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the tip. I've just tried using MainMenu to clear and reset just about everything I possibly could, and then restarted the computer. Sadly, it hasn't fixed the problem, and in fact, I've now noticed it appearing in iTunes as well. I swear this wasn't happening 24 hours ago. I'm certain I would have noticed it in Safari if nothing else. This is a very odd problem indeed!

[​IMG]

EDIT: There's probably not much point in me continuing to provide screenshots, but it's occurring in Mail now as well.

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

6. timelord726 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I knew what you meant -- MainMenu offers many of the same system and user clearing options (including cache) and I ran every tool in there. I tend to prefer MainMenu to OnyX, but that's just personal preference. I tried running OnyX too, and it didn't help either.

7. timelord726 thread starter macrumors member

No further ideas? I'm curious... how are menu entries actually added to program menus in Mac OS X? Like a Safari plugin, for example... how does it add menus to the Safari context menu? Is there somewhere I can look for something that's been installed that's adding these entries? Is there a plugin somewhere or a plist file or anything?

8. timelord726 thread starter macrumors member

Okay, well, I tested a different user account and the problem did not happen in the other user account, so I took it upon myself to try and figure out how contextual menu items are added to a user's account. I went into my user's Library folder and found a folder called, lo and behold, Contextual Menu Items. I had recently installed 2Peer to get a large file from a friend over the internet, but didn't like it so I removed the program. I didn't realize that it had, however, left a file in my Contextual Menu Items folder called 2PeerCMPlugin, which I promptly removed, and now the problem has gone away. :)

9. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

nice work, congrats. :)

also, this might be another reason to completely uninstall the app rather than just remove the main program.

10. timelord726 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks!

Unfortunately the application did not come with an installer or uninstaller -- it was just a simple drag-and-drop install. I used AppZapper to remove it but it wasn't enough, apparently.