Blank page in Safari after downloading?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iforbes, Jan 24, 2012.

1. iforbes macrumors 6502

Every time I hit a download link in Safari I am brought to a blank page with a tab titled "Untitled". The download works as expected but the blank pages get pretty annoying.

Is there any way to turn this behavior off?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have "Block Pop-Up Windows" checked in Safari?

3. iforbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, I do. However, even if I turn it off, I still get the Untitled blank pages.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't always help, but it's good to keep that checked. Also, you can sometimes avoid the blank page by right-clicking a download link and selecting "Download linked file" or Option-clicking the link.

5. iforbes thread starter macrumors 6502

Option clicking the link definitely works (thanks)...but it begs the question...is there no way to make this the default behavior?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, because if you made downloading the default, then you'd have to hold Option while clicking a link that you didn't want to download.

7. iforbes thread starter macrumors 6502

So Safari is not smart enough to know the difference between a download link and a 'regular' link? I never got blank windows using Firefox or Chrome or IE, so it seems odd that I get it using Safari.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I think it may have more to do with the design of the website, rather than the browser. I usually don't get such blank pages, but infrequently I do on certain sites. I recall the same with Firefox and IE.

9. iforbes thread starter macrumors 6502

I can't remember ever getting blank pages in firefox or chrome when clicking on a download line, yet it happens regularly in Safari.

Seems like there are a couple of lines of code that are missing in Safari. :(