Blank screen after restart

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Nightsky1957, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Nightsky1957 macrumors newbie

I have a new MacBook Pro. Recently, I ran the firmware update and software updates. I configured Entourage, but didn't use it much for a while. I installed the Epson printer software and the 'restart curtain' came down. When I tried to restart, I heard like a tap tap tap sound from the speaker, the light blinked three times, paused about 7 seconds and then blinked three times again. It never got as far at the Apple logo. I tried several things, took out the battery and held the power button down, nothing worked. Since it still had the printer installer CD in, I couldn't try booting up from the OSX disk. Finally it started again. But it kept crashing and the same issues when I would try to restart. Finally called Apple (still within my original 90 day call in support) and he walked me through some things. It wouldn't even let me start from the disk (finally got the printer disk out one of the times I had got it to start up again). Zapping the PRAM got it to start when I was on the phone with apple. He had me run disk utility and it said okay. So he suggested I reinstall the software. When I ran the updates, it crashed again, twice. Same restart problem (tap tap tap in speaker then light blinks 3 times... I started seeing it as SOS!)
    I called Apple back. While I was waiting for someone to answer the phone, I got it started using option power (which I had tried several times before)
    He said I should try to run the updates which he thought would solve the problem, but I'm pretty sure I was updated BEFORE the problem. I also bought the 3 year applecare package. He said he was out of ideas and if it continued, just take it to the apple store.
    Parallels said it couldn't find a driver so I had to reinstall that. Then when I tried to open XP, it froze and I had to restart. Now it won't come up again like before.
    Just wondered if anyone had similar issues. I'm thinking I'll be taking it back to the apple store this week. I'll let you know what they say when they fix it. Prior to the firmware update, I'd had it about 2 months with no restart issues. I had installed MacOffice, Illustrator and Photoshop, etc. and it was working fine.
    At first I thought it was the printer software causing the problem, which still could be. If I can get it to work again, I'll uninstall it and dump the pref file.
    If anyone else has any ideas please let me know and thanks.

2. jrock2004 macrumors 6502

I would uninstall the printer and then see if this reboot stuff stops. I think the issue may be with the printer driver and not the mac. Have you went to printer site or call them to see if they are getting reports with mac people having issues with the printer

3. Nightsky1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I got it up and running long enough to delete the printer app and also deleted the printer prefs. I opened Parallels. Then I went to check my mail and it crashed!
    Same three blinking lights, etc. I got it restarted finally by pressing apple when I started. I'll see what happens in the next few days without the printer.

4. Nightsky1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

It still crashes, even on the log in screen! I'll let you know what Apple says after they fix it.

5. Nightsky1957 thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to the Apple store today (I didn't know I needed an appointment but they had one available so the wait was short). He took it to the back for a few minutes. He said that 3 blinking lights mean RAM errors. He put his ram in and he said it worked great. So he put mine back in and said mine were not seated correctly and there was dust under them (how does that happen in less than 90 days) ... Anyway... It's working at this moment and I'll post back later with an update to let you know if that worked or not. (He said if I still have issues they will give me new RAM... I have 4 gb)

6. Morod macrumors 68000

Morod

Glad to hear you're up and running again and that it was an easy fix. It's generally hard to beat Apple service, even if you do need an appointment these days.
    If the RAM is seated improperly, dust could get under there where it shouldn't and aggravate an already bad situation.
    Morod