Blank screen after waking up from sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by skyrider007, Aug 23, 2007.

1. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Does any experience this? It usually happens on my MBP after I disconnect it from the external monitor and put it to sleep.

Is there a way to fix it?

2. thegrifman macrumors regular

This happens to me every once in a while. The only thing I've found to do is just wait until it goes back to sleep then try and wake it again and it usually works that time around.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

are you waiting to put it to sleep after the macbook figures out you've disconnected the monitor (the screen flashes) ?? if not you are prolly confusing it

4. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

No, I first disconnect the monitor cable then close the lid. The blank usually occurs after I wake up the MBP by opening the lid (after the monitor cable has been disconnected, obviously).

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Yeah, it happens. I typically end up just closing the lid until it goes back to sleep (the LED pulses) and then I open it back up and voila, it's good to go.

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

yes but you didnt answer my question, are you waiting the 5-10 seconds for it to figure out that the monitor is disconnected? like i said, the internal LCD will flash blue then back to the desktop, is this happening?

7. skyrider007 thread starter macrumors 65816

skyrider007

OH! I got what you meant now! Thanks. I must have been closing the lid too quickly before the MBP screen flashes blue. This should solve the problem! Cheers.

P.S. Aren't we loving our 2.4GHZ MBP???:p

8. Geneva Shen macrumors newbie

Geneva Shen

Black screen happens to others, too

I have the black screen after waking from sleep on my G4 MDD tower -- no lid, external monitor, etc., to blame. I find it happens about once a month, 2 or 3 times in a row, then it's OK for another month, or so. I feel that if I move the mouse before clicking for wake-up, that it will wake up black, but it doesn't happen all the time. It's annoying that Apple refuses to address this problem.

A workaround I've heard of is to set it to require a password on waking from sleep, but that's more of a bother for me than the occasional black screen.