Blank Screen Issue = Dust !!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chedda, Sep 21, 2012.

1. chedda macrumors 6502

I always keep my mac pro on the table as i know they are great hoovers for dust. Recently i was alarmed to find both my 30" screens going blank for no apparent reason. Trawling forums and apple discussions i found a lot of similar cases but with different solutions. Of course i panicked and feared the worse, could it be a new logic board was needed or a new graphics card the horror ! However after a deep breath i logically started with the least possible problem. I opened the computer and carefully cleaned out all the dust particularly on the graphics card, hey presto back to normal !! I hope someone in my predicament finds this thread one day and it helps them. I used a dyson hoover to clean although i read this can produce static i took the risk as i don't have access to an airline or a can of compressed air. Dust creates heat which in turn shortens hardware life, everyone be carefull and keep your mac clean, i would also encourage people to keep it off the floor.

2. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

If you find that the fan on your 5870 is beginning to give up the ghost, it is fairly simple to replace it for something a little quieter (providing you are out of AppleCare of course).

I wrote about my switchover from the stock 5870 cooler to the Arctic Cooler Accelero XTREME Plus here : http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1097022

Feel free to ask me any questions about the fitting if you need to.