Blank Screen On My 2008 MacBook Pro... :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Modacke, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Modacke macrumors member

Modacke

Ok guys, when I turn on my computer there is a blank screen. You can still hear the normal noises coming from the computer like any normal boot-up. But if I let my computer sit for a while without turning it on, it will turn on with weird almost static noises. If I force shut down then try again, I get the normal boot-up noises.

I tried the safe boot-up method,holding down the shift button while turning the computer on, but no dice. I actually tried this method on both the good and static noise boot-up.

Help & Thanks, Modacke

2. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Also if it would help I can put up a video on what it sounds and looks like if I boot-up....

3. ljx718 macrumors 6502

try to hook it up to an external monitor to see if its the lcd or motherboard

4. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Well I have a monitor I could use, but I don't have the adapter on me to connect it to the monitor. I have one, but my Dad has it right now at work. So when he comes home tonight I will try it and see what happens.

But do you have any other ideas, in what I should do? There is nothing I still want from the computer, files wise. So if we do a complete restore or anything that would delete my files it would be good with me...

5. kolax macrumors G3

Sounds like your nVidia 8600M finally given up. Known issue - all MacBook Pro's with the 8600M are covered for an extra 2 years as long as the failure is related to the 8600M. Take it into an Apple Store and they'll almost know right away that it is the GPU that has failed and replace the motherboard.

Of course, we can't rule out a dodgy DVI cable or that the screen has burned out. But the most likely cause is the 8600M graphics chip has blown.

6. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Well thats another problem, I got the computer over two years ago. I had Apple Care on it, but I believe it expired. But I didn't know about this extra warranty on MBPs, if the issue is relating to graphic cards. I will go to my Apple Store tomorrow and see what happens.

ALSO: I tried putting the install disk in while pressing the D button, but again no dice. Anything Else guys???

7. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

So its not a 2008 MBP then, as the title says? That means it may not have the 8600 graphics card then right? I can't remember how long they were used or if it was just that one model.

8. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Its not the unibody macbook pro,, its the generation before that.

9. kolax macrumors G3

Go to the Apple Logo (top left) and click on "About This Mac". Then go to "More Info..." and then on the left column select "Graphics/Displays" and tell us the chipset model.

10. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

The 8600 according to wikipedia (i know, i know its crap, BUT! its brilliant so..) Goes back to the late 07 models MA895LL or MA896LL; MA895LL/A or MA896LL/A, MA897LL/A or early 08 models as so; MB133LL/A or MB134LL/A MB166LL/A the early 08 models had 256mb and 512mb for the 15" and 17" respectively, the late 07 models also included a 128mb model for the 8600GT.

I have the early 08 model, which i got in august just before they changed to the unibody look, not had any issues yet (touch wood)

PTP

EDIT: In fact even the model after the MBP 4,1 had the 8600- that was in late 08 not that its particularly relevant to this discussion..hmmm

11. MWPULSE macrumors 6502a

MWPULSE

Originally Posted by Modacke
    Its not the unibody macbook pro,, its the generation before that.

the macbook pro 4,1 then? which has the 8600GT lol:D

PTP

12. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Ok guys I got the computer in the summer of 2007. Hope that helps. But as to the question on which graphics card it has, I can't find out because the screen is not working....

13. kolax macrumors G3

Haha good point.. can't believe I didn't think.

Could either have the ATI Radeon X1600 or the nVidia 8600GT.

What speed is your processor?

14. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Can you boot from a Leopard retail disc or your restore discs? Insert it and hold C on startup.

15. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

You need an external monitor to complete your troubleshooting but it is very likely you have the nvidia 8600 problem. It's covered for three years under Apple's extension for this specific problem. Take it to an authorized Apple service center or call and Apple will send you a box.

If you get an external monitor and it works on the external display then the problem is with the LCD and may not be covered if your warranty has expired. Look up your serial number on Apple's support site to verify warranty status.

Best of luck

16. Modacke thread starter macrumors member

Modacke

Ok guys how do I connect an external
    monitor to the computer if the display doesn't work. I tried connecting the monitor to the computer and it didn't work. I tried F5 and control but nothing... Do I have to push any keys or amything...

Thanks

17. bov macrumors 6502

my 2.2Ghz MBP just had the same thing happen to it and i sent it in to replace the logic board :( thought it wouldnt happen to me... but, of course, it did

now waiting for the call......

as for external monitor... if it did work, it should show up automatically, no?

i say your best bet is just take it to get replaced while you're still covered

18. chrstphr macrumors newbie

just to add as well, my santa rosa 2007 macbook pro died as well. just sent it in to Apple and am not pleased to be without a computer for the next 10 days.