Blank screen out of sleep - likely software issue?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mattwe, Nov 12, 2008.

1. mattwe macrumors member

Okay, having computer issues. Need help.

Computer:
    Macbook Pro 15"

Problem:
    Randomly (it has happened twice now) I will put the computer to sleep, and when I wake it the LCD doesn't light up (nor does the apple on the back of the screen - nothing is coming through that gives off light). First time it happened, I plugged it up to an external monitor (because I thought that the LCD had gone out, I was just going to back things up) and the LCD came to life, it was all good for about 3 weeks.

Tonight it happened again. Blank screen and all. Plugged it up to an external monitor...nothing on the monitor or on the computer screen. It just isn't sending anything to the LCD. I have fiddled with it for a bit, and then thought I would try and boot off of the CD. Popped the CD in, and the LCD came on. Great, I thought, problem solved. Nope. Upon restart screen went black again. Now plugging in the external monitor is bringing nothing up and popping the CD in is doing nothing.

I have reset the PRAM, done everything I know how to do/can do (considering I cannot see anything on the screen). If anyone has any ideas, I would appreciate them.

EDIT: I have restarted the computer multiple times, just so it didn't sound like I was putting it into and out of sleep over and over.

2. mattwe thread starter macrumors member

Okay, after some more fiddling and unsuccessfully getting anything up on the screen - it seems like the computer just isn't sending any video-out signal at all. Not to the laptop screen, not to an external monitor.

If anyone has any idea what may cause this, I would appreciate the tip.

3. garybUK Guest

garybUK

i have weird issues with my mbp too, when waking up from sleep sometimes, the video is blank and nothing is happening...... the light on the screen latch remains almost 1/2 lit, sometimes i have to just hold down the power button.

The intel mac's are no where near as good at power management than the old PowerPC's, the Powerbook used to be able to swap battery's without loosing anything, the new ones can't do that.... sucks! :(