Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mism

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
My Mac Pro arrived today and of the six or so times I've restarted this has happened three times:

I get the normal grey Apple logo screen then as it switches to the login screen the screen goes black. The monitor doesn't go into sleep mode, it thinks its getting a signal. If I hit the power button and put the Mac to sleep then wake it up the login screen appears.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro 12 x 2.66
ATI 5870
Dell U2410 connected using DVI

davelanger

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
My Mac Pro arrived today and of the six or so times I've restarted this has happened three times:

I get the normal grey Apple logo screen then as it switches to the login screen the screen goes black. The monitor doesn't go into sleep mode, it thinks its getting a signal. If I hit the power button and put the Mac to sleep then wake it up the login screen appears.

Any ideas?

Mac Pro 12 x 2.66
ATI 5870
Dell U2410 connected using DVI

If you wait does it never load?

If yes, I would suggest unplugging all of your USB ports (like printer and things like that) to see if that helps. Just to test.
With my old printer, if I had the printer on while my mac was booting up, it would hang up right before the loading screen, and just sit there unless I unplugged it.

Maybe you are having the same issue. What do you have plugged into your mac anything?

mism

macrumors member
Original poster
May 25, 2010
Thanks guys.

I too wondered about things being plugged in, I unplugged my external hard drive, just in case.
I unplugged and re plugged in my DVI cable, it was securely attached but I figured I'd try everything.
I also changed my monitor resolution in system prefs, quit, then changed it back. It probably did nothing, more 'superstition' than anything else (I think the screen res gets set just as the login screen appears, so there was some sort of method to my madness).
Either way its restarted fine the last two times since then.

Can't believe my new Mac Pro arrived yesterday and is sitting at home while today I'm freelancing on a G5!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.